Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Control Stick Arm Tension

Default Control Stick Arm Tension

Hello fellow builders
    I'm working on installing the control column.
    I have been adjusting the amount of tension or the amount of pressure required on the control stick to move the column assembly. I have reached a point where I need some subjective advice from those who have gone down this path before me.
    I have never flown a kitfox. So I have no experience to draw from in the amount of movement or the ease of movement. The controls presently are very smooth no binding, they do however stay in position when I let go of the control stick. Does this ease up over time? Do I need to decrease the tension from the bearing block so the control sticks fall.freely when let go?
    Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Control Stick Arm Tension

The side-to-side motion (flaperons) has no way to adjust tension and it will be free of any tension or friction. You want the fore-and-aft motion (elevator) to be the same way. After you get all the push rods connected you will feel the weight of the elevator in the stick, but not when flying. Most of us have installed the elevator spring assist to offset the elevator pressure. None of what you feel in the stick when flying should come from stick tension/friction. Yes, that Delrin bearing block needs some work to get it loosened up.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Control Stick Arm Tension

Agreed. You want it to fall side to side without any input and forward to back with ease and no tension.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!