Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox - Trim Tabs to Fly By Wire

Default Re: Kitfox - Trim Tabs to Fly By Wire

Something like an MPI MX8340 Servo Driver should work, it has a knob that you turn to drive the servo... and an LED that lights up when the servo is centered.

MPI.jpg
    Mike Davis
    Fairbanks, AK
    Kitfox Series 7 SS (received kit on 18 April 2023) N967MD reserved
    Rotax 916iS received, still waiting on MTV-6-R propeller
    Build log - https://n967md.dcsol.com
    Murphy Moose #195 (sold)
    1968 C150H still flying regularly
    Quicksilver MX built and registered as experimental (destroyed in wind storm)

I texted Carlos today, and he said the owner of the Kitfox wasn't able to do any testing yet. He said he would get back to me in a couple of weeks to let me know how it's going. JImChuk

Jim- I just talked to him. He said there is a guy doing a test flight and he should have good feedback and a plan for a turnkey solution in 3-weeks

It will be interesting to see how the test flights turn out. JImChuk

Wish I would of looked at this more closely when building. I need rudder trim. Here is a controller that would work. What is the best place to get lightweight piano hinge?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I talked to Carlos last week, he said they had about 10 hrs of flight testing with their auto pilot in the Kitfox. He said they needed a yaw damper on the rudder. Seems like it was taking some adjusting to get everything good in rougher air. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post

Wish I would of looked at this more closely when building. I need rudder trim. Here is a controller that would work. What is the best place to get lightweight piano hinge?
    Aircraft Spruce or I have been able to pick up at local hardware store. Should not be to hard to find.

Jim
    Jim Corner
    KF2 582 1150 hrs
    KF5 O-360 1150 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I talked to Carlos last week, he said they had about 10 hrs of flight testing with their auto pilot in the Kitfox. He said they needed a yaw damper on the rudder. Seems like it was taking some adjusting to get everything good in rougher air. JImChuk

I have been testing on my Model 5, and find that it works great! Working on video and comparison to GRT autopilot. Have both in my Model 5. Will test the Ecoautopilot in my model 2 once I have competed current project.

Jim
    Jim Corner
    KF2 582 1150 hrs
    KF5 O-360 1150 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post

Dustin , included are the promised pics of my rudder trim setup. As far as the hinge material goes aircraft spruce P/N 03-00051-3 ( MS20257P5-3) is what I used but then did a bit of modifying of the hinge for my installation. The part of the hinge that is screwed to the rudder is the stock dimension of 1" , but I reduced the dimension of the hinge to 5/8" where it is riveted to the trim tab. (evident in the photos) I also pulled the pin from the hinge and flipped it so it is offset so my trim tab falls on the centerline of the trailing edge of the rudder (If this doesn't make sense , look at the top view photo and you'll see what I mean) My tab itself is 6" long (vertical dimension) X 2 1/4" in depth (horizontal dim.) from the centerline of the hinge. I have found that this size is sufficient for all my trim needs. the small access panel houses the high torque servo (RC model servo) and this system was built after the airplane was flying for several years (and like you, realized that cockpit adjustable rudder trim was a need to have feature for my plane) Hope this helps Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

This looks good! Thanks for the info! Those building I would highly suggest putting rudder trim. If you want to do any sort of cross-country and not constantly have your feet on the pedals you will need something.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!