Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear 1/4 windows: Question for my fellow Oratex abusers

Default Rear 1/4 windows: Question for my fellow Oratex abusers

When you covered the sides of your fuselage and went to cut out those triangle shaped windows, did you just cut the fabric flush to the edge of the aluminum channel, or did you attempt to wrap that fabric edge over the aluminum?

If my question doesn't make sense I'll try again.

Thanks in advance.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Default Re: Rear 1/4 windows: Question for my fellow Oratex abusers

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    When you covered the sides of your fuselage and went to cut out those triangle shaped windows, did you just cut the fabric flush to the edge of the aluminum channel, or did you attempt to wrap that fabric edge over the aluminum?

If my question doesn't make sense I'll try again.

Thanks in advance.

Alex... I believe I wrapped it over the aluminum.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

And I trimmed mine at the edge. Looking back if I were to do it again, I would probably wrap mine over maybe a quarter inch or so. That way the adhesive for the window would still have full aluminum to adhere to and at the same time help seal the edge of the frame.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Alex

I also wrapped mine over and don't know if anyone else had this problem but when I tightened the fabric around the window it did start to pull the top of the aluminum outward slightly.

Rick

I am actually in the process of covering over those windows - additional weight and no reason for them - they are NEVER USED. Just my .02. I think the plane looks way sleeker with them fabric'd over

I wrapped mine. I am interested in seeing a pic of your covered window though.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    Alex

I also wrapped mine over and don't know if anyone else had this problem but when I tightened the fabric around the window it did start to pull the top of the aluminum outward slightly.

Rick
    That's a good point. I already tightened my fabric (including that window opening for some reason I can't justify right now) and could see the aluminum moving.

As for omitting the windows, I considered doing that a long time ago. I would have agreed those windows are basically useless until I flew a Kitfox at Stick & Rudder. With the combination of lexan turtledeck, sky light and bubble doors I found the visibility in all directions was outstanding - especially for a side by side high wing airplane. Those little windows would become your only blind spot.

Besides that, I need to drill one of them for my OAT probe, since I didn't put it out by my pitot tube like all the cool kids do.

I do like Geek's suggestion of a 1/4" wrap. It will help prevent it from peeling and still give a good bond surface for the windows.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by AvDES LLC View Post
    I am actually in the process of covering over those windows - additional weight and no reason for them - they are NEVER USED. Just my .02. I think the plane looks way sleeker with them fabric'd over
    Opinion: You can never have too much visibility from a plane. I look out the triangle window on the opposite side all of the time and would hate to have a blind spot.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Not Oratex, but I wrapped over the top of the frame and then also around the bottom (probably could have done without the bottom wrap). The flat area where the baggage compartment velcro will attach is covered with a strip of leftover laker leading edge that was trimmed and Hysol'ed into place.

I think I'm going to limo tint the windows, though I'm not sure if tint will bubble on polycarbonate.

IMG_1913.jpg
    Jason B.
    Phase 1 - S7 STi
    Dynon | 915is

Thank you to everyone for their input. I did as Geek suggested and wrapped about 1/4-3/8". Didn't take very long and it will certainly be less likely to peel than if I had just cut it to the edge of the aluminum.
    PXL_20230112_234332484.jpg
    You might have to turn your computer over for this to look right because I've got the fuselage upside down to do tapes.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII