Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear 1/4 windows: Question for my fellow Oratex abusers

Default Re: Rear 1/4 windows: Question for my fellow Oratex abusers

Not Oratex, but I wrapped over the top of the frame and then also around the bottom (probably could have done without the bottom wrap). The flat area where the baggage compartment velcro will attach is covered with a strip of leftover laker leading edge that was trimmed and Hysol'ed into place.

I think I'm going to limo tint the windows, though I'm not sure if tint will bubble on polycarbonate.

Attachment 31560[/QUOTE]

I had poor luck tinting polycarbonate. It bubbles up pretty fast and looks bad.

I used factory tinted polycarbonate (might have been Acrylic for the skylight?) on the skylight, and the turtledeck.... it worked much better and looks nice and clear. Amazon/ebay sells pieces small enough to do the 1/4 windows at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the input on the tinting. I was afraid that might be the case.
    Jason B.
    Phase 1 - S7 STi
    Dynon | 915is

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    When you covered the sides of your fuselage and went to cut out those triangle shaped windows, did you just cut the fabric flush to the edge of the aluminum channel, or did you attempt to wrap that fabric edge over the aluminum?

If my question doesn't make sense I'll try again.

Thanks in advance.
    I cut mine flush but later wrapped finish tape over the edge. If doing it again I would fold them over while covering.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

I folded mine over. I found i really had to prep the surface to make sure there were no bumps/lumps or otherwise as it'll show.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Thank you to everyone for their input. I did as Geek suggested and wrapped about 1/4-3/8". Didn't take very long and it will certainly be less likely to peel than if I had just cut it to the edge of the aluminum.
    Attachment 31561
    You might have to turn your computer over for this to look right because I've got the fuselage upside down to do tapes.

Alex, Looking Great!!! I'm not on the forum that often so didn't see your question soon enough. You did the right thing by wrapping it around i think. Thats what I did and worked out great when you install the windows. Also about those windows, My 1st kitfox that i built i installed those windows and on my present flying kitfox the original builder did not install them. In my opinion I think it looks better and even though some think they are useless I feel every little bit of visibility out of the cockpit helps prevent any blind spots. My two bits!