Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad Fox Build

Default Quad Fox Build

Hello everyone! We received our kit a few months ago and it has been a very rewarding process so far! This part of the forum has been a lot of fun to watch and figured I should jump in as well! I have really enjoyed following everyones builds and I have learned a lot.

We came up with the Quad Fox because we just added a new baby girl to the family and now we have 4 of us building the plane! I have tried to make it as much as a family project as I can!

We a currently working on the rudder pedals. I have begun fitting the torque tubes with the bearings and only had to remove a little of the powder coating from the inside of the right pilot side pedal but the co pilot side still has a bit of friction. i have tried to leave the torque tubes untouched but I think I may need to remove some powder coating to account for the co pilot left pedal has a bit of a bow in it. I have seen some of you try to straighten it out and I have played with that without much luck. There isn't any friction depending on the bearing location but there are times as the bearing rotates it will grab in certain areas then there is a little friction.

I have noticed that the bolt that goes through the torque tube bushing on the mounting bracket isnt anywhere close to the right length. Has anyone else had seen that? Seems odd that it would be that far off and the fix would be to go up a size. The manual calls for a AN4-11A the threads barely reach the nylock part of the nut so i dont think just a thin washer will fix it.

The holidays have been a slow build time but we look forward to getting back at it!

Happy New Year!
    Michael

Default Re: Quad Fox Build

Great name for the plane Michael!! I do think it a bit unfair as it appears you have a professional flight control adjuster adjusting your control rods!! Great that you are involving the family in this build. Some of my best memories of my dad are where he and I are in the shop building something.

Looks like you have a washer under both the bolt side and the nut. I'll admit to not looking at my manual to see what it called out but I did look at mine to see how much thread was showing. It wasn't the three full threads that I would normally expect BUT the end did just protrude through the nylock. I looked at my install and while I can't see the bolt side, I did use thin washers on the nut and it would not be a long stretch to think I used a thin one on the bolt side. As I got further into my build, I did order about 100 of the 1/4 normal and thin washers and the same for the #10 and #8s. I have used them in place of what was called out in a few places for certain.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Thanks Gary! I do have a bit of advantage with my helper! I always loved tinkering in the garage and working on things with my dad an i hope to continue that!

I just have the one washer on the nut side but I may go down to the thin and see if that helps more than I think it would. I also may check the nut. I am away from the airplane and have been for about 2 weeks but I remember the AN3 nuts having a thinker and thinner nut maybe I grabbed the wrong one.

Those torque tube bushings look a little different than mine. It's possible they changed the part and the manual needs updating. In any case, adjusting bolt length and washer thickness in order to get proper thread engagement is just part of airplane building. Hopefully you've picked up one of those AN hardware gauges that allow you to identify what is in your hand (and not just trust the label on the bag). I use mine a lot.

Also, I had to remove ALL powder coating from inside those tubes in order to get free motion.

It's great that your family is involved. Keep it up!
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Lucky you - to be in Idaho so close to the mothership, lol.

Looks like our fellow airmen have you on track. Those torque tubes can be a pita. I also had to supplement my AN hardware, especially those thin washers!
    You have to be part superman to endeavor to build a family, a career and a plane all at the same time!

All the best to you Michael, keep up the great work!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Those torque tube bushings look a little different than mine. It's possible they changed the part and the manual needs updating…
    I ended up swapping them with the size up bolt -12A work perfect! I just ordered a gauge! That was my first thought that the bolt was marked incorrectly.

I played with the tubes some more and got them moving freely! I put some grease on them and they feel perfect! Just took a bit of confidence to take more material away.

It has been a very productive week. I cleaned up the remain friction on the rudder pedals, match drilled and then greased the bearings. They move very well! My brother in law was in town so we went to work on those rudder pedals them selves. Ive heard those are a pain! We spent about 4 hours working on those a got them to move very nice! We used a wire brush to clean up the inside of the tube where the bearing goes as the welds created some friction. The wire brush was slow but effective. We only needed a small amount of sanding on the bearings.

After that we turned out attention to the mounting bracket bearings. These required a bit of sanding. We first cleaned out the torque tub and then took some material off of the bearings. We test fitted the whole assembly into the fuselage. For the most part okay, with the center mount in the center of the rail the ends were a little on the long side and we didn't think a nut much less a socket would fit under it. So I took each side to the Disk sander side of my belt sander and to off a little of the torque tube to bring the outside mount to the center of the mounting rail. Worked great! We checked out measurements 100 times and drilled and installed the rudder pedals. I drilled the holes without the floor boards in so i could make sure I had everything aligned and of course i torqued everything down and realized i never put on the floor board! Doing everything twice as usual!

I then reinstalled the rudder pulleys for the adjustable rudder pedals and installed the springs. I found that one of the clevis bolts threads were to short so when I torqued it down it torqued itself to the bolt rather the pulley and the spring wont go all the way through because the nut is slightly covering the hole. The rest of the master cylinders were install. I used the washers at the base to try and set the master cylinder to the side that the pedal was favoring to limit binding.

77C34D20-3617-42A2-92FE-C68E544FBC24.jpg67ABA68A-497A-4FD8-9C60-642B3B4C1DFB.jpgB913393E-9100-47DD-9B35-870E832304A0.jpg0CC8E570-0999-4EAA-848C-6169059DC383.jpg39847D8B-90DC-4F18-8910-15AF1A5E5097.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

We cut and installed the side panels. I cut the excess off the panels by scoring with a box cutter then bending slight to break it on that line. This method worked very well. I cleaned the edge with the belt sander to remove just a little more material and the a file to really clean the edge. They came out very nice! I do not like the idea of use screws to hold on the panels. Im sure someone on here has had a better idea. I was thinking of AN526-440R4 screws with nut plates on the back side.

I also started to work on the seat pan. I am not proud of my work on this one. I thought it would be better to cut the slots for the vertical tudes on the back first and it would have worked had I slowed down and looked at it harder but drew a line where the tube was and started to cut and i did even think that the tube is angled so i was removing way to much material. I think it is still okay but a humbling reminder to slow down and think. Once i noticed it i took a 1/2 inch drill bit as a guide to the thickness on the tube the pan rests on and marked a line to cut the excess off. It is a little closer than i thought it would be but i still think its okay. This allowed me to cut the slot for the tube more accurately.

I placed the pan in the plane and then marked the center console and cut the notch for that. I can sit in the plane! That was a fun step to finally be able to sit in the plane. The aileron push tube does rub just slightly on the far left deflection. If i push the tube all the down it doesnt rub but there is a very small tolerance between the two. I am wondering that when i adjust the push pull tubs and i tighten the locking nuts i can lock it angled down a bit further. I hope that makes sense.

FA8DEE98-A014-4EED-B246-59A301C97071.jpg

7E850E78-EF90-4881-A1CF-2C07DBD2EBDE.jpgB42B873F-B716-4D5C-951A-22421DD47DA4.jpgA2C0076A-BBDF-41E5-804F-CF92BED1613D.jpgE70BEF22-A44D-49DA-8AC5-E6054C2A9FB7.jpgB9E72839-E06A-4058-9A41-3C4EAFAEB193.jpg

Fess up. You made airplane noises when you sat in it, didn't you?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Fess up. You made airplane noises when you sat in it, didn't you?
    I absolutely did! Pretty sure the manual tells you too!