Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad Fox Build

Default Re: Quad Fox Build

I do not like the idea of use screws to hold on the panels. Im sure someone on here has had a better idea. I was thinking of AN526-440R4 screws with nut plates on the back side.
    I used nut plates for the console sides. That is the best long term solution, sheet metal screws will eventually enlarge the holes.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    I used nut plates for the console sides. That is the best long term solution, sheet metal screws will eventually enlarge the holes.
    Agree with Ralph on this one. I used #6 AL Rivnuts on mine and they work perfectly. Again the disclaimer for Rivnut haters; in used the Loctite 680 when I installed them and there is no way they will spin.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Don't forget Tinnerman nuts are a great option to nutplates and rivnuts. Much easier/quicker to install, last forever (they are hardened spring steel), give some float to allow for some misalignment, nearly instant replacement if that is ever required, and no special tools needed.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Ralph! I assumer you used flush mounted rivets as well? Thats the route i think i will go.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Don't forget Tinnerman nuts are a great option to nutplates and rivnuts…

I did use tinnerman nuts in the floor boards. Great option! One issue i have with those is i drilled the holes for the side panels in the middle of the center console (1/2inch) from the bottle. i havent found any that have that length to reach the hole. But maybe im just not looking hard enough.

Thanks Ralph! I assumer you used flush mounted rivets as well?
    Yes, flush rivets. It is not that difficult to do. If you don't have a jig for the nut plates, you can use the nut plate for a jig to drill the holes fro the rivets. But if you are doing a lot of nut plates of the same size, the jig makes it quick and easy.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfoxfly5521 View Post
    I did use tinnerman nuts in the floor boards. Great option! One issue i have with those is i drilled the holes for the side panels in the middle of the center console (1/2inch) from the bottle. i havent found any that have that length to reach the hole. But maybe im just not looking hard enough.
    This problem can be solved by relieving the edge of the console (just notch it up) so that the tinnerman nut will reach the hole.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yes, flush rivets. It is not that difficult to do. If you don't have a jig for the nut plates, you can use the nut plate for a jig to drill the holes fro the rivets. But if you are doing a lot of nut plates of the same size, the jig makes it quick and easy.

It does look simple enough. I can see how using the nut plate as a jig would work fine. If you don't mind me asking which nut plate and rivets did you use. I think i found the MK1000-06 would work with a AN526-632 screw but i am getting lost in the rivet selection. There are so many options and id like to order just once.

I didn't use anything and after 520hrs and several removal/installs, I dont have any trouble with the screws stripping out. Interestingly, the tinnermans that are used at the horizontal stabilizer close out panels have been an issue. I have had several screws strip and require extra efforts to remove from the tinnermans. Go Figure.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I’m not saying it’s the case here Eddie, but if the wrong screws are used with any particular tinnerman nut, that can happen. I’m sure you just used what was in your kit, but it can happen… you may have had a mis-match. They are made of a harder spring steel than many common screws. Like Jim, I like the tinnermans for some applications also.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime