Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone using the Supereco autopilot

Default Re: Anyone using the Supereco autopilot

I am pilot of EuroFox, Ultralight which one can consider as being asmall or large brother of KitFox. (AvidFlyert, AppoloFox),practically identical, both in its construction quality and its flight qualities.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMuSmvz2TUjqWznL6

Since October lastyear I installed the SuperEco in my EuroFox. After looking on Facebook for a certain number of comments on the use of such a solution on ULMs with Flaperons, I decided to put trim taps on the two Flaperons (Roll) and a trim tap for the Pitch. Thus I obtain a symmetry between the two Flaperons, especially when the flaps are used.

On the flaperons,the trim taps are of medium size (20 cm by 4 cm), which represents a little more than half of the surface recommended by Aircraft Automation. For the Pitch I made a trim tap of 30 cm by by 5 cm).
    After assembling the servo motors fixed on the Flateron, I decided to put the servo motor inside the Flaperons in order to reduce drag and weight. The influence of trim tabs on Flaterons is positive. A flight test measures this influence, and the resulting pressure on the stick when they are in various positions. The SuperEco parameters allow this test to be carried out in flight.
    So far I haven't had a flutter/balance problem.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ep37ABMirzY9pxfh7

I also watched theCory Robin's video about using the Supereco AP. I did not observe that the tabs was constantly in motion. Maybe, this may be due to an unstable atmosphere.

The adjustment of the whole is not very simple. A set of parameters in the SuperEco make it possible to adjust the reactions of the ULM to changes in altitude or direction. After several tries I am still not 100%satisfied, despite the help from the boss of Aircraft Automation(Carlos).

I will, when the weather will be better, continue my tests and adjustments of the SuperEco.

Note: please excuse my English.

Jean-Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by kitfoxjim View Post
    Several years ago I developed my own autopilot system using R/C servos. My system was based on technology available in the mid 90's. It uses track deviation to control direction and GPS altitude for pitch. I have approximately 1700 hours using these servos with only one failure in that time. I have both a Model 2 and Model 5 Kitfox, with 3 axis autopilot and trim. My system works great but is slow to react in turbulence. I have attached photos of my flaperon installation. I use one on each aileron with no flutter problems, tested to in excess of vne.
    Attachment 31441Attachment 31440
    Hi Jim.

Could you please give me the dimensions of yours trims.

Best Regards
    Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre

Sorry I did not reply sooner as I am travelling on holidays. The dimension my tabs are about 10 x 18 -20 cm. You don't mention what problems you are having with the autopilot....the earlier Kitfox's had adverse yaw which made aileron only steering difficult for the autopilot. If your problem is related to adverse yaw, please advise as I may have a solution for you. If not, you need to describe the characteristics you are trying to correct.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JP24 View Post
    I am pilot of EuroFox, Ultralight which one can consider as being asmall or large brother of KitFox. (AvidFlyert, AppoloFox),practically identical, both in its construction quality and its flight qualities.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMuSmvz2TUjqWznL6

Since October lastyear I installed the SuperEco in my EuroFox. After looking on Facebook for a certain number of comments on the use of such a solution on ULMs with Flaperons, I decided to put trim taps on the two Flaperons (Roll) and a trim tap for the Pitch. Thus I obtain a symmetry between the two Flaperons, especially when the flaps are used.

On the flaperons,the trim taps are of medium size (20 cm by 4 cm), which represents a little more than half of the surface recommended by Aircraft Automation. For the Pitch I made a trim tap of 30 cm by by 5 cm).
    After assembling the servo motors fixed on the Flateron, I decided to put the servo motor inside the Flaperons in order to reduce drag and weight. The influence of trim tabs on Flaterons is positive. A flight test measures this influence, and the resulting pressure on the stick when they are in various positions. The SuperEco parameters allow this test to be carried out in flight.
    So far I haven't had a flutter/balance problem.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ep37ABMirzY9pxfh7

I also watched theCory Robin's video about using the Supereco AP. I did not observe that the tabs was constantly in motion. Maybe, this may be due to an unstable atmosphere.

The adjustment of the whole is not very simple. A set of parameters in the SuperEco make it possible to adjust the reactions of the ULM to changes in altitude or direction. After several tries I am still not 100%satisfied, despite the help from the boss of Aircraft Automation(Carlos).

I will, when the weather will be better, continue my tests and adjustments of the SuperEco.

Note: please excuse my English.

Jean-Pierre
    Jim Corner
    KF2 582 1150 hrs
    KF5 O-360 1150 hrs

Hi Jim.

Like all ultralights of this type (avifFlyer, AppoloFox, KitFox) the Eurofox does not escape the problems of reverse yaws.
    My problem with the SuperEco is that the system has trouble keeping direction. This results in weak oscillations, which tend to increase.
    I notice that your tabs are two to three times higher than mine. Changing my tabs is no problem.
    On the other hand, if you have a solution concerning the reverse yaw, I'm really interested!

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre

To get a coordinated turn the earlier kitfox (pre model 5)you definitely need some rudder input. You will need to add a trim tab with servo on the rudder, and use the aileron signal to generate a proportional signal on the rudder. Unfortunately, this will take some experimentation with trim tab size, and servo arm length until you get a coordinated turn. Did you get the yaw damper option with your autopilot which may render above comments invalid. if this is the case, you will need to work on lessening drag on the rudder cables to give the yaw damper a chance to work.

Jim

Hi JimLike all ultralights of this type (avifFlyer, AppoloFox, KitFox) the Eurofox does not escape the problems of reverse yaws.My problem with the SuperEco is that the system has trouble keeping direction. This results in weak oscillations, which tend to increase.I notice that your tabs are two to three times higher than mine. Changing my tabs is no problem.On the other hand, if you have a solution concerning the reverse yaw, I'm really interested!Jean-Pierre[/QUOTE]
    Jim Corner
    KF2 582 1150 hrs
    KF5 O-360 1150 hrs

I texted Carlos a couple of weeks ago to get an update on how the Supereco is working on the Kitfox in Florida that he told me about. So far, I haven't heard back from him. JImChuk

PS I'm sure all the extra features on the supereco are nice, but I think I would be fine with something that would just keep the plane on the same heading and altitude that it's at when I push the "engage" button.

Hi Jim.
    If I understand correctly, you recommend, in order to obtain satisfactory results, the installation of the yaw damper option. SuperSco options that I don't have on my EuroFox.
    Other than that, I'm thinking of increasing the size of my trim tabs, as they are half the size of yours.
    Thanks again for your support.

You can add a rudder trim tab servo to your system by adding a Y connector to the aileron servo output of the ecoautopilot. My model 2 had a lot of mechanical drag as the cables run through tubing. This was overcome by disconnecting the rudder return springs and using a large rudder trim tab. I will try to attach a photo. It took a lot of experimentation to get the right combination for a coordinated turn. I did it with software adjustments in my original autopilot but I am sure this can be done with mechanical adjustments. Carlos is sending me a unit with the yaw damper and I will post the results. These comments are based on my own autopilot development which started in the mid 90’s.

Jim
    If I understand correctly, you recommend, in order to obtain satisfactory results, the installation of the yaw damper option. SuperSco options that I don't have on my EuroFox.
    Other than that, I'm thinking of increasing the size of my trim tabs, as they are half the size of yours.
    Thanks again for your support.[/QUOTE]
    Jim Corner
    KF2 582 1150 hrs
    KF5 O-360 1150 hrs

Jim,
    I already have on each flaperon a trim tab which required a Y-cord as well as a small module allowing to reverse the direction of one of the two servo motors. Module provided by Carlos.
    I just asked Carlos how to activate the reverse yaw correction option on my SuperEco.
    I look forward to your test results.
    Regards.
    Jean-Pierre