Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Garmin GI 260 Angle of Attack

Default Garmin GI 260 Angle of Attack

Is anyone using the GI 260, Angle of attack indicator with the G3x and do you like it?

The G3x has an audio stall warning, so I'm not sure if another electronic gizmo is needed.
    I understand some like/would like, a more visual presentation of the AOA.

11-12536a.jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Default Re: Garmin GI 260 Angle of Attack

The G3X can be configured to display that same scale right on the screen along with the audio.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    The G3X can be configured to display that same scale right on the screen along with the audio.

That is good to know!

Thanks Eddie!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

The advantage of the 260 is to put on the glareshield ... right in the line of sight while on short final ... when needed most.

You don't want to look down and have to refocus.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Personal preference, and I think the GI 260 is cool, but I prefer to have the windscreen as open as possible. I am looking out and land based of noise of the AOA. Its a progressive beep that you can tell what your AOA is. I think there are a bunch of features on the G3X that often you don't understand when ordering. You do need to buy the GI 260, just the AOA pitot tube if you want the AOA feature. Also another feature that I think many don't understand is the G3X autopilot. In order to have the the AUTOPILOT you need to get the servos obviously but you DO NOT need the autopilot head unit. You can touch the top of the PFD above your ADI, the score board, and it will bring up your autopilot selector. On the kitfox with the high amp draw trim motor you will need additional power supply for the servo. (Saftey Trim)
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 12-26-2022 at 11:20 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I don't think it is necessary because you have the aural sound that progressively changes from beeping to steady on. I have the bar on my screen but rarely look at it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

"Personal preference, and I think the GI 260 is cool, but I prefer to have the windscreen as open as possible. I am looking out and land based of noise of the AOA. Its a progressive beep that you can tell what your AOA is. I think there are a bunch of features on the G3X that often you don't understand when ordering. You do need to buy the GI 260, just the AOA pitot tube if you want the AOA feature."

"I don't think it is necessary because you have the aural sound that progressively changes from beeping to steady on. I have the bar on my screen but rarely look at it."

Thanks for all the input!

I'm in Agreement with you. Hard to understand it all with no real-world experience. My system will soon be powered up and its capabilities will become apparent the more I use it. I have the GAP 26 aoa if I want the GI 260 in the future.

Brett Butler

Sorry just read my response and realized my typo, but I think you got it. You DO NOT need the GI 260.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!