Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lycoming O-320 160 HP - anyone have one of these on your Kitfox?

Default Re: Lycoming O-320 160 HP - anyone have one of these on your Kitfox?

I just bought 2 props from Roman. He was well but had no power, but still working.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I got my prop from Roman about a month ago it looks amazing.

I have been communicating with Roman last several days.

3 blade prop with spinner.

Trying to get proper size spinner. Weight of the prop and hub is about 13.5 lbs compared to Whirlwind is 18lbs, Sensenich is 21lbs, my Catto weighs 12lbs.

With the heavy engine, 260lbs, need less weight up front.

Chatted with Steve Henry and he said good things about them also.

Price is $1628.00 US shipped compared to almost $5000 for Whirlwind or Sensenich.

Looks like I will be selling My Catto 76" 42" pitch soon!
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp

KenZ
    Iā€™m running an IO-340 with a 80ā€ Whirlwind GA-200L STOL. It was about $3200 3 yrs or so back. I have no complaints. At 14 degrees (low pitch) I have seen 3000ā€™/min. Currently running 17 deg pitch and I cruise about 105 at @4g/hr at 2100 rpm
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

3,000Ft/min! Holy Crap. At the airspeeds we fly, isn't that about vertical? Damn
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I get up to 2000 feet a min by myself with full fuel. probably get more on a lighter fuel load.
    But 3000 ft/min, I am skeptical.
    Catto fixed pitch prop climb pitch. 2650 RPM climb out.
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp

I just got my prop from NRProp today and it looks great. anybody have torque on the hub halves? or bolts PN for attaching to the engine?
    Ken
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp

As noted in another thread Kenz was a victim of a terrible accident. On Dec. 8, 2023 on departure from Runway 20 at Eloy, AZ as Kitfox plunged into an open field. An observer noticed a small object leaving the aircraft before the sudden descent. Preliminary examination has revealed that a blade separated from the adjustable propeller, causing extreme vibration, engine separation with complete loss of control. The aircraft subsequently crashed, and was consumed by fire.
    The propeller installed was a ground adjustable NR unit from Ukraine installed on a 160hp Lycoming engine. The engine was probably at a high power setting in the climb out phase of flight. Due to this being an experimental aircraft further investigation might be limited. If I find any additional information on this accident We will pass it along.
    We are mourning the loss of Ken at this time, and want to avert this happening again. Increased inspection of non certified hubs, bolts and blades are in order. Remove those spinners on adjustable propellers and take a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by PWOK View Post
    As noted in another thread Kenz was a victim of a terrible accident. On Dec. 8, 2023 on departure from Runway 20 at Eloy, AZ as Kitfox plunged into an open field. An observer noticed a small object leaving the aircraft before the sudden descent. Preliminary examination has revealed that a blade separated from the adjustable propeller, causing extreme vibration, engine separation with complete loss of control. The aircraft subsequently crashed, and was consumed by fire.
    The propeller installed was a ground adjustable NR unit from Ukraine installed on a 160hp Lycoming engine. The engine was probably at a high power setting in the climb out phase of flight. Due to this being an experimental aircraft further investigation might be limited. If I find any additional information on this accident We will pass it along.
    We are mourning the loss of Ken at this time, and want to avert this happening again. Increased inspection of non certified hubs, bolts and blades are in order. Remove those spinners on adjustable propellers and take a closer look.
    Thanks for this info. If you can find you hours on the prop that may be helpful.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Very little time on this propeller as configured. You can read back in this thread and get some idea of the timeline.