Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaking wing tanks.

Default Re: Leaking wing tanks.

Hi Will,

Just out of curiosity, what is the thickness of the aluminum used for the original tank? Also, do you have any idea what the alloy is?

Thanks!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

No idea on the alloy although in my research for what to use for the bottom plate 5052 was what Toby Bingelis recommended in those EAA how to books. Easy to form and weld.

I'm out of town right now but I'll put my calipers on the tank when I get home and let you know how thick the material is.

Curious do you have pictures with the bottom of tank in? Curious what it looked like and why it was leaking?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Curious do you have pictures with the bottom of tank in? Curious what it looked like and why it was leaking?
    I'm assuming that question is directed to me and not the OP?

If that's the case I have attached a pic of the plate I made but not yet installed.

If I have my history correct when they figured out the tanks were prone to cracking welds they recommended a sloshing compound for the tanks. Problem was it was impossible to adequately scuff the interior of the tanks enough for it to stick and eventually it would flake off and clog things up. I'm not aware if my tank actually developed leaks as it only had 75 hrs on the airframe when I bought it but the wing tank had been disconnected due to the flaking issue. I cut the bottom of the tank out for 2 reasons: I wanted to make sure the sloshing compound was completely cleaned out. 2. I wanted access to all the interior joints so I could scuff them up and proseal them.

As to the question of how thick the tank walls are its .050" , which is also the thickness of the plate I fabricated. I still need to attach a spacer to the middle tank baffle/rib somehow.

For those not aware vans uses a pop type rivet that is closed on the end so fuel can't leak through it.

20221226_203012.jpg

Thanks for posting! Looking good and very interesting.

Are you thinking because the tank flexes, the rivets will allow movement that is needed that the welds could not provide and cause to fail?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yes. Although rv wings being skinned in aluminum and of a much lower aspect ratio are obviously much more rigid than kitfox wings I'm sure they still flex to some degree and this method of construction seems to be well proven. With the proseal remaining somewhat flexible after curing and the rivets, yes I think this repair will last a good long while and if it becomes necessary in the future the interior of the tank can be accessed by drilling out the rivets and using heat to remove the proseal.