Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The kitfox "Jesus Bolt"

Default Re: The kitfox "Jesus Bolt"

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Interesting it cracked like that, probably as was suggested it was in the open and exposed to UV too long?….Jeff
    now let’s not put that into the universe. If one did shear, I’m sure we’d never hear a first hand accounting of the story.

That wing strut bolt was one of the changes in the early-production Series 5 kits that raised MGW from 1,400# to 1,550#. It changed from an AN4 (76,000psi shear) to an NAS1104 (95,000psi shear).

Lift Strut Hardware.jpg
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    I don't want to be pedantic, but if there's >7,690psi being imparted on the control system, or it's >180°F in the cockpit, I'll have bigger worries than the material properties of that Delrin part.

Delrin has one property that's important in this application, but which is lacking in 6061-T6. Its slippery surface is inherently self-lubricating. In your application, how will the aluminum be kept lubricated where the powder-coated steel control system rotates against it?

Has this question been answered? I see a comment about a Delrin inlay as well as a carbon on.

Quote Originally Posted by Podunc View Post
    Has this question been answered? I see a comment about a Delrin inlay as well as a carbon on.
    This has been addressed. I have reworked the design to an all carbon fiber body with a delrin inlay to allow for minimal friction between the control shaft and the bearing itself. This thread was more intended to get people thinking about that little lynch pin in the design of some of these planes. The older builds most likely still contain that brittle plastic piece and it should be addressed sooner than later by the owner.

Thus was a great post no doubt! It’s awesome to see everyone’s innovative ideas.

They make that plastic in white which is a virgin plastic, and in black which i believe is the recycled plastic. The white is slippery er than the black, but the sun will eat at the white and make it very brittle and cracks very easy. The black doesn't get attacked by the sun as bad, so last alot longer.
    We use 4x8 sheets of white to cover the inside of the hopper on the gold plant to keep dirt from stickin and also on the bottom of our skis. Have never tried the black on those places

Could you be a bit more specific? "Plastic" is a rather vague terms since there are numerous types (White mentioned in this conversation is most likely teflon whereas black is delrin and the material properties between the two are not alike). Polyethene has also been mentioned here so a bit more information about the material you're mentioning would be useful.

Here’s the update for the base portion of the bearing. You can see the ridge that allows for delrin bearing retention and the foam of the ridge allows for 60 thou diametric gap between the ridge and the control tube to ensure all contact with the tube is through the delrin only.
    408086F1-CCE8-4641-B56C-DCE7EFFC343A.jpg