Had to do a bit of research before I could make any statement - Seems these bearings are actually made from Delrin. Melting point of delrin is just under 200 degrees F, melting point of Teflon is just above 600 degrees F. Placed a 250 degree heated iron on the block I removed from the plane and sure enough it melted.

Now with that said, Delrin still has some amazing material properties :

• Color: White or Black
  • Temperature Range:
  • 6" Lengths: 0° to 180° F
  • All other sizes: -20° to 180° F
  • Tensile Strength: 7,690 psi (Good)
  • Impact Strength: 1-1.5 ft.-lbs./in. (Poor)
  • Hardness: Rockwell R120-R122 (Hard)
  • For Use Outdoors: No

Some things to note about Delrin - it is not hydrophobic - so it is likely to take in small amounts of water and is typically not recommended for long term exterior exposure. While most of these aircraft are kept indoors, exposure to the elements is guaranteed and as such life expectancy can only be expected to be reduced. The big one to note from the above properties is the tensile stength of the material - due to how these parts are used and exposed to some form of radial forces as the control stick is moved during flight and run up, this tensile strength is of great importance.

Now lets consider some material properties of 6061-T6:
  • Temp Range: Up to 900 degrees F (depending upon application)
  • Tensile Strength: 42,000 PSI

With a maximum operating temperature 5 times greater and tensile strength of almost 5.5 times that of Delrin, I am confident that while it may not be ABSOLUTLEY necessary, from a safety standpoint, this upgrade makes sense and provides me a bit more peace of mind.