Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Around the USA in 17 days

Default Around the USA in 17 days

After spending 20 years building my Series 6, I have been having a blast flying her. This is the second year I have flown around the USA. This years trip was 17 days and covered 5632 miles with an average of 375 miles per flying day (I took two rest days).

I live on the west coast and my goal was to fly to the east coast, swim in the Atlantic, and come back home but other than that I decided each morning where I would go based on the weather. From my trip last year I knew that 400 miles a day was about right considering all the overhead of flight planning, finding hotels, and getting to and from airports.

In the cargo area was my folding bicycle, sleeping bag, tent, food, and my small backpack with my clothes and toiletries. Because I would be landing at a lot of unimproved strips, I brought a full set of tools and spare parts to handle any mechanical situation I could think of. I also knew I would need an oil change during the trip and possibly a 100hr service if the trip went long. In the passenger seat were four quarts of oil, the tools, filters, spark plugs, spare parts, three quarts of water, and all the supplies I would need during the flight.

I love small town America and had no interest in visiting big cities. Other than my home airport, I didnt land at one controlled airport the entire trip and always chose grass or gravel when given a preference. I would always try to choose a final destination where the hotel was within 3 miles of the airport so I could walk. None of the towns I flew into were big enough to have Lyft or Uber and although many FBOs have courtesy cars, I never relied on that luxury. After sitting in the cramped cockpit all day, I would usually choose to walk to the hotel even if a courtesy car was available. I never needed to use my tent and sleeping bag but once I did need to bike 20 miles to my hotel so I was glad to have the bike. I did need my tools and my loctite 243 to handle a coolant leak from a temperature sender so the tools were worth their weight in gold.

The Kitfox might not be fast but it more than makes up for that by allowing me to go the amazing places a Cessna 182 cant

2023 flight around America.jpggrass strip.jpgcrater lake.jpgpassenger seat.jpg

Default Re: Around the USA in 17 days

Super cool! Thanks for the write up. Sounds like so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

What a great trip - thanks for posting - motivation for all! Darrel

Congrats Dan. A great way to celebrate your build and fulfill a dream that hd to become a little more possible with every part you installed on your model 6. That map is impressive. Hoping you have another Kitfox adventure in your very near future and this thread inspires others to explore the cross-country capabilities of their Kitfox.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Congrats Dan. A great way to celebrate your build and fulfill a dream that hd to become a little more possible with every part you installed on your model 6. That map is impressive. Hoping you have another Kitfox adventure in your very near future and this thread inspires others to explore the cross-country capabilities of their Kitfox.
    Thanks!

The one thing I am so incredibly grateful for is such a supportive "ecosystem" around the Kitfox. We have Stick&Rudder for training, this forum for support, and most of all, a well run kitfoxaircraft llc to provide constant upgrades and replacement parts.

The one upgrade I just found that is available is the 48” extended cargo bay # 64891.105 that replaces the standard 32" one I have. That additional 16" of space will make the kitfox an even better cross country machine.

Congrats and I absolutely love the polkadot paint scheme.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

What a terrific trip! I'm only a month into my build, but I'm already looking forward to all the incredible places I will go with my Kitfox.
    Mike Davis
    Fairbanks, AK
    Kitfox Series 7 SS (received kit on 18 April 2023) N967MD reserved
    Rotax 916iS received, still waiting on MTV-6-R propeller
    Build log - https://n967md.dcsol.com
    Murphy Moose #195 (sold)
    1968 C150H still flying regularly
    Quicksilver MX built and registered as experimental (destroyed in wind storm)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFairbanks View Post
    What a terrific trip! I'm only a month into my build, but I'm already looking forward to all the incredible places I will go with my Kitfox.
    Enjoy the journey! Building is just as much fun as flying in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    Congrats and I absolutely love the polkadot paint scheme.
    Thanks! It was inspired by my favorite childhood book, "Put me in the zoo" by Dr Seuss. It has the added benefit of making the plane virtually theft proof

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    I am actually wondering how far I could go if I made a custom gas tank for the passenger seat and one for the cargo area so that all the useful load was used for fuel.