Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Aborted Ferry Flight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default An Aborted Ferry Flight

Some of you may remember a guy here on the forum named Nate who built a Kitfox that was powered with an AeroMomentum AM15 engine. That engine was eventually removed and the aircraft was sold. The buyer had a new engine and propeller drop-shipped to Nate for installation, after which the plane was ferried to the new owner in Colorado.

Fast forward to the current day. The new owner wanted the plane moved to Brunswick, Maine for installation of Clamar floats. Nate wasn't available for the mission so he referred the owner to Alex (@alexM), who accepted and asked me to tag along. Last Wednesday we met in Denver, took a United A319 to Montrose, CO and went to a hotel. The next day we drove to the owner's home northeast of Montrose and dug the Kitfox out from behind a beautiful Carbon Cub. I then drove the rental car back to Montrose while Alex flew down to pick me up.

Nate's Kitfox.jpg
    Alex, pre-flighting our office for the next three days.

The plane is equipped with Shock Monster landing gear, 29" Alaskan Bushwheel tires, a Rotax 912iS with 3-blade Airmaster prop, and a Garmin G3X Touch. Covering is Oratex. Due to the landing gear, tires and lack of wing strut fairings, this is a slow airplane. We managed about 80mph IAS!

Our first leg was about three hours, from Montrose, CO to Rawlins, WY. Due to significant clouds along the way, we first headed northwest toward Grand Junction, then followed I-70 to Rifle, climbing (barely!) to just over 12,000' along the way. Approaching Rifle we dove to 7,500', under a cloud layer, then followed the CO Hwy 13 canyon north to Meeker, CO. From there the terrain flattens to a broad, high plain, where CO Hwy 13 changes to WY Hwy 789, which led us into Rawlins for fuel, a restroom break and hot chocolate.

Upon shutting down in Rawlins, we discovered that all of the tie-down rings in the apron were blocked by ice! This was a problem since the wind was gusting to about 35mph at the time. While Alex held the brakes, I was able to borrow a hammer and screwdriver from the FBO and chip out enough ice that we could tie down with the ratchet straps we had stolen from the owner's hangar for the purpose.

The second leg (about two hours) had us following I-80 and US-30 to Medicine Bow, where we picked up the BNSF rails across a long stretch of prairie to Wheatland, WY. A slight turn to the south took us across more open prairie, but BNSF led us right to Scottsbluff, NE for our first overnight stop. We saw three mile-and-a-half long coal trains along the way, and a couple of rail marshaling yards with more cars and locomotives than I've ever seen in one place. In one yard there was a string of 41 locomotives connected together!

Day two began with a two hour leg following US-26 over Oshkosh (Nebraska, not Wisconsin!), rejoining I-80 just west of North Platte and following it to our first fuel stop at a nice little airport in Gothenburg, NE. They have both a paved and a grass runway, just the way an airport should be! Our second leg (nearly three hours) was intended to take us mostly east, but we had to turn south near Kearney, NE due to IFR conditions farther east. It turned out to be a significant deviation, taking us southeast across miles of frigid farmland and shivering cattle to Emporia, KS for our second overnight stop.

I should pause here to explain that neither Alex nor I have very much experience with Rotax engines. On each leg the first day, after about an hour of flying, we had the Lane B light come on steady. On the second leg, the light was accompanied by an "ENGINE ECU" message on the G3X. Each time this happened, the condition would clear after shutdown and the lane would test normally on the next restart. For reasons that we weren't able to determine, the G3X in this plane (wired with a VP-X) cannot be shut off with the engine running so we weren't able to reboot it into diagnostic mode to look for active engine codes.

The weather deteriorated in Emporia overnight and we had IFR conditions until around noon. The forecasts for pretty much everywhere east of Kansas were IFR for the full extent of their TAFs, the Lane B issue was bugging us, there was a winter storm headed for the Midwest and significant snow forecast in the Northeast. Taking all of that and our looming work schedules into account, Alex made the tough decision to pull the plug. He found hangar space in Wichita, KS, which, once we extricated ourselves from a very friendly EAA chapter meeting in the Emporia terminal building, was about a 50 minute flight over beautiful rolling country populated with thousands of horses.

With the plane safely stored until the Lane B issue can be diagnosed and the weather improves, we got a Lyft (driven by a college English professor!) to Wichita's commercial airport. I got lucky on a couple of United flights through Denver and got home at around 11pm last night. Poor Alex is still in Wichita as I write this, as his American flight to DFW suffered a rolling weather delay that cost him his connection to Seattle. With better luck today, he'll be home this afternoon on a non-stop Alaska flight.

Alex's phone has a much better camera than mine and he took a lot more photos. Perhaps when he gets his feet under him at home, he can post a few pictures here to give a flavor of the beautiful and desolate terrain that we flew over. It was a really fun trip and I'd like to thank Alex for inviting me to go along. It was my first experience in a Kitfox and I was pleasantly impressed with the plane's performance and handling.

Both of us learned a few things that we plan to apply to our builds:
    1. Careful control rigging is critical. Even a tiny bit of "heavy wing" can be very annoying on a long flight.
    2. Some kind of rudder trim, either a tab or in-flight adjustable, is mandatory. Holding right rudder for three hours is not fun.
    3. Installing brush seals along the horizontal stab slots is a very good idea if you plan to fly in cold weather. The back of your neck will thank you.
    4. Large tundra tires should be inflated well above 8psi for landings on paved surfaces. Squishy tires are difficult on pavement and require high power settings to taxi.
    5. If you have a Rotax iS engine, the standard kit for a cross country flight should include a BUDS dongle (yes, they're expensive; welcome to aviation!) and a small laptop.

Oh, and don't order fish tacos at a sketchy restaurant named Olé! in a land-locked state.
    Last edited by Eric Page; 12-11-2022 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Fix incorrect city name.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default Re: An Aborted Ferry Flight

Great write up Eric. It did take me an extra day to get out of Wichita and I wonder if I'd still be there waiting for the American Airlines connection.

Ferry flights across the country are one of my favorite things to do because I get to land places I would never see otherwise and meet some great people. The hotels, food and transportation become a bit of a Groundhog Day thing but you make the best of it. The trips never go as planned so you have to remain flexible, and this one was no exception. I've never failed to deliver the plane to its destination before so it was with some reservation the decision was made to terminate this flight where we did.

The plane is safely in a hangar at a jet center in the NE corner of Wichita, about 1/3 of the way to the intended destination. As I type this the weather is 400' overcast at ICT and along our proposed route it is mostly marginal VFR. The prediction was for worse conditions which was a big contributing factor in pulling the plug. We could possibly have made it further but having a persistent lane light without being able to diagnose the problem, and (no big surprise) finding a hangar to safely leave the plane made what we did the safe choice. Finding a place with a hangar and also at least a regional jet out of town is challenging.

Having Eric along was great. I was able to spend time using Foreflight and my Sentry to monitor weather ahead, make necessary changes to our routing, and also gave me time to play with the G3x. Not everything about it is intuitive but it is clearly a well thought out product with loads of features. We both grew tired of hearing "Ms Garmin" provide terrain warnings, and with the high winds on the ground the AoA/stall warning squeal was often continuous even when taxiing slowly. Some way to suppress that tone would be a nice feature. It may exist, we just didn't get that far.

Coming across Wyoming winds aloft were 70mph, most of it pushing us to 139mph over the ground. Thankfully we were headed eastbound otherwise we'd still be stuck in moderate turbulence and zero ground speed.

The scenery was amazing but my photos were not. Here are a few from the trip.
    PXL_20221208_173444304-01.jpg
    Montrose, CO where I met Eric so we could get rid of the rented car and fuel up.
    PXL_20221208_194638797.jpg
    Destination Rifle, CO
    PXL_20221208_200038380-01.jpg
    Steely eyed missile man Eric, aka "George"
    PXL_20221208_230903818.jpg
    Picking up a bit of tailwind somewhere near Medicine Bow
    PXL_20221209_224950523.jpg
    Catching up to the weather system we had been (slowly) chasing eastward. Emporia, KS is still about 30 miles away.
    PXL_20221209_233953308.jpg
    On the ground at Emporia. The guy at the FBO heard us on the CTAF and stayed late to set us up with a crew car.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Great report guys! Hopefully you'll be able to resume the adventure soon.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

A popular saying is that the difference between and ordeal and adventure is your attitude. The journey is the destination!

Here's to completing the ferry trip safely. Nice write up!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote: the AoA/stall warning squeal was often continuous even when taxiing slowly. Some way to suppress that tone would be a nice feature. It may exist, we just didn't get that far.

Just touch the AOA indicator on the screen and it will mute it.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Wow, thanks for that!
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    The problem turned out to be a loose pin in a connector for Lane B. It has been fixed by STOL Creek...
    Excellent news. That'll make the rest of the trip a bit less worrisome. Hope you've managed to have a nice Christmas up there, Alex!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    Just touch the AOA indicator on the screen and it will mute it.
    Figures it was that easy...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I enjoyed reading this very much and look forward to the conclusion. Thanks for posting.

Quite the adventure! Thanks for sharing!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Sounds like you are having a great trip. I was wondering why the first motor was removed?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw