Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help ID Model

Default Help ID Model

I'm helping a fellow aviators family clear out his hangar. In the hangar is an unfinished kitfox, but we're not sure which model it is. Can anyone help ID this one?

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    Building the JaMFox N677JM
    Kitfox 5 Vixen
    KRNM

Default Re: Help ID Model

I think I can see enough of the door to say it's not a Kitfox 1. (Kitfox 1 is only 36" wide as well at top of seat) (2, 3, and 4 are 39 1/2" wide there) So with the ribs acting as hangars for the flaperons, it must be a 2 or 3. If it's a Kitfox 2, the distance on the front lift strut, bolt to bolt will be about 98". The Kitfox 3 will measure something like 10" longer. I don't have that dimension handy, but it's much longer than the Kitfox 2. Hope this helps. JImChuk

PS, looking at the pics again, and the angel of the lift struts, I would say a model 3, but the measurement I gave should tell the tale.

Looks identical to my Model IV,

In the second picture, I believe I'm seeing the Kitfox 1 to 3 flaperon mixer assembly. And in the third and also last picture, I believe I'm seeing the long wood ribs for flaperon attachment that are not found on a Kitfox 4 but are on the earlier models. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post
    Looks identical to my Model IV,
    Definitely not a model 4. The tubing in the baggage area is wrong for a 4, it has undercambered wings, the mixer is not the same as a model 4 mixer. It is model 3 or older for sure.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Would it be easy to identify with the SN? That should be stamped someplace on the airframe. Those with early models should be able to say where the SN is placed.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

The shape of the door says it's not a model 1, the long rib tails for the flaperons say it's not a model 4. Lift strut length is different on model 2 (98") to model 3 (about 109"). If the original poster has a tape measure, he should be able to know what he has. Also, I'm not sure if the serial number was stamped on the early (pre model 4) models. If the N number was available, we could also check what the FAA says it is. JImChuk

Thanks everyone. The info you have provided has been forwarded.
    Mike
    Building the JaMFox N677JM
    Kitfox 5 Vixen
    KRNM