Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

  1. #21
    Senior Member Eric Page's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Toledo, WA
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    Thanks, Justin. I appreciate the info, and I'm sure Alex will too.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Mapleton,UT
    Posts
    1,130

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    Anyone else do the lastest firmware upgrade for the G3X? Seems the flip flop radio feature is slow now? When you tap the frequencies to flip them, they seem to go slow now. Sometimes it normal, but sometimes I end up pushing it twice thinking I didn't tap it and it does a double flip flop to back where I started? Justin do you have any insight on this?
    Dustin Dickerson

    Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

  3. #23
    Senior Member PapuaPilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho
    Posts
    1,195

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    I haven't noticed it, but I usually do that with the GTR-200 radio.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

  4. #24
    Senior Member bbs428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    542

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    Thought I'd post one of my experiences with the Garmin G3x.

    After initial power up and software update, I was performing some basic checks of the G3x system. Noticed I had no audio/sidetone in my headset? When I keyed the ptt I could see "tx" light up on the 200b. When I keyed my handheld radio I could see "rx" light up as well.

    Ohmed out my com jack wires - checked good. Checked for any shorts to ground on my main connector J2001 - checked good. Checked my headset with my handheld radio - checked good.
    So now I'm stumped. A call into Garmin got the obligatory "you need to see a professional to do your wiring and we will RMA the unit only once". Was hoping for a bit more like "make sure you check this" or "check that" convo, but that didn't happen.
    I do understand that the tech's get hundreds of phone calls and can only troubleshoot so much over the phone, so I just put on my big boy pants, grabbed my fluke and headed back to the plane.

    I stood there scratching my head, thinking about the issue. "Start from the beginning once more bunky" came to mind, so this time around I checked the coax at the antenna. Dead short from the center conductor to the back shell!
    The reason I had not checked this earlier is that I had checked the coax after building it and it checked good! Disconnected the coax and it still checked good. Checked the center conductor on coax output on the 200b and it was shorted to the case internally! Wow. Never crossed my mind to check the 200b itself! I just figured my wiring was afu.

    So, my brand new radio was a brick!

    I had purchased my avionics over 2 1/2 years ago, so the warranties are out. Garmin recognizes that it takes a while to build an airplane and graciously takes that into account. When I called my friendly Garmin tech, he was happy to hear the issue was sorted out. They asked me how many hours were on the plane - zero and an RMA was granted immediately! My new radio is on its way as we speak.

    So, for all you DIY's out there, do not assume the shiny, new box is good and your stuff is bad. Check everything!
    Last edited by bbs428; 03-12-2023 at 04:07 AM.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. Ernie Pyle

    Brett Butler
    Building: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

  5. #25
    Senior Member efwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Posts
    2,754

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    I had "Two" autopilot servos that were bad. John M had told me he had experienced one servo problem and was very suspicious as to having two at the same time. Garmin was contacted and servos were replaced right away as they were brand new and on the shelf for about two years before discovered. Thanks Garmin.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Anyone else do the lastest firmware upgrade for the G3X? Seems the flip flop radio feature is slow now? When you tap the frequencies to flip them, they seem to go slow now. Sometimes it normal, but sometimes I end up pushing it twice thinking I didn't tap it and it does a double flip flop to back where I started? Justin do you have any insight on this?
    Good Afternoon,

    We were able to recreate this report. You can expect a software update that will address this problem and correct the issue.

    Thanks,

    Justin

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Thought I'd post one of my experiences with the Garmin G3x.

    After initial power up and software update, I was performing some basic checks of the G3x system. Noticed I had no audio/sidetone in my headset? When I keyed the ptt I could see "tx" light up on the 200b. When I keyed my handheld radio I could see "rx" light up as well.

    Ohmed out my com jack wires - checked good. Checked for any shorts to ground on my main connector J2001 - checked good. Checked my headset with my handheld radio - checked good.
    So now I'm stumped. A call into Garmin got the obligatory "you need to see a professional to do your wiring and we will RMA the unit only once". Was hoping for a bit more like "make sure you check this" or "check that" convo, but that didn't happen.
    I do understand that the tech's get hundreds of phone calls and can only troubleshoot so much over the phone, so I just put on my big boy pants, grabbed my fluke and headed back to the plane.

    I stood there scratching my head, thinking about the issue. "Start from the beginning once more bunky" came to mind, so this time around I checked the coax at the antenna. Dead short from the center conductor to the back shell!
    The reason I had not checked this earlier is that I had checked the coax after building it and it checked good! Disconnected the coax and it still checked good. Checked the center conductor on coax output on the 200b and it was shorted to the case internally! Wow. Never crossed my mind to check the 200b itself! I just figured my wiring was afu.

    So, my brand new radio was a brick!

    I had purchased my avionics over 2 1/2 years ago, so the warranties are out. Garmin recognizes that it takes a while to build an airplane and graciously takes that into account. When I called my friendly Garmin tech, he was happy to hear the issue was sorted out. They asked me how many hours were on the plane - zero and an RMA was granted immediately! My new radio is on its way as we speak.

    So, for all you DIY's out there, do not assume the shiny, new box is good and your stuff is bad. Check everything!
    Thank you for the feedback Brett. I am curious about your call to us. Did you call our experimental help desk (1-866-854-8433)? You should not get the run around to "see a dealer" if so.

    Thanks,

    Justin

  8. #28
    Senior Member bbs428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    542

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    Thanks Justin for the reply.

    I was able to talk to a "Toby" in the certified section. He was an ex TACAN aimd tech. helping out the experimental calls the other day. Great convo with him and he walked me through some things to look for. Super guy. Really knows his stuff! Told him of the shorted coax center conductor and he said they will all read like that, and the problem was probably in the com jacks or associated wiring. So, after double checking the wiring, I replaced all the Com jacks with new ones and my problem was solved!

    Very Hard to troubleshoot over the phone with amateurs who are not familiar with the G3x. I'm sure it was just a lack of communication on my end. I'll not fault the tech that day who took my call. I was probably the 100th caller who had a hard time understanding all that's involved.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. Ernie Pyle

    Brett Butler
    Building: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Thanks Justin for the reply.

    I was able to talk to a "Toby" in the certified section. He was an ex TACAN aimd tech. helping out the experimental calls the other day. Great convo with him and he walked me through some things to look for. Super...
    Sounds great. It isn't very hard to get routed to the wrong desk if you call the main number. The experimental help desk is where you want to end up as they are set up to work more directly with owners/maintainers than the group who works with the Certified fleet.

    You're exactly right too, it can be quite challenging to help work on a plane that is 700 miles away!

    Let us know if anything else comes up.

    Thanks,

    Justin

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Mapleton,UT
    Posts
    1,130

    Default Re: Garmin Support Available For Team Kitfox!

    Quote Originally Posted by G3Xpert View Post
    Good Afternoon,

    We were able to recreate this report. You can expect a software update that will address this problem and correct the issue.

    Thanks,

    Justin
    Awesome! Thanks for the info and update!
    Dustin Dickerson

    Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •