Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Using the VP-X with Current Fault Detection

Default Using the VP-X with Current Fault Detection

FYI, I am using the VP-X pro with my Garmin G3X suite. I ran into an interesting issue and the resolution so I want to pass
    this along to others planning to use the VP-X.

During electrical bringup I noticed that some devices would power-up for a few seconds and then power-down. The VP-X would indicate
    "Current Fault" due to no current flowing. It turns out that the VP-X requires a minimum current draw of 0.10 amps in order to detect
    that a device is "on". If the current is lower than 0.10 amps it shuts down the circuit. There are some devices that draw less current
    when they're idle. In my config, those devices were GSA-28 servos, GMC-507 Autopilot Controller and the GI-260 AOA Indicator. Once
    I disabled current fault detection for those circuits it worked fine for all but the GI-260. It was still shutting off. I finally connected it
    to the G3X power and all was fine.

I'm a bit disappointed that I had to disable current fault detection for those circuits since there's now no way to detect that the device
    did not power-up as expected. At least it's all working though.

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

Default Re: Using the VP-X with Current Fault Detection

If those devices have a fault or don't power up normally I think they should alert you through the G3X. At lease our autopilot servo that failed did.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: Using the VP-X with Current Fault Detection

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    If those devices have a fault or don't power up normally I think they should alert you through the G3X. At lease our autopilot servo that failed did.
    Good point. I hadn't considered that.
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x