Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Position Lights?

Default Position Lights?

Wondering about the options (Pros/Cons) of lighting options for my kit.

Kitfox has an option for position light on the rudder -- but AreoLED makes the Pulsar version of the wing tip light that combines all three (nav, strobe, pos). Is there value in the extra work of adding the tail light kit? Is is hard to do? Or is a simpler option like the AreoLED a better route?

I often overthink things -- so maybe someone can helpout and chime in.

Thanks.

Dave.

Default Re: Position Lights?

Im not sure what one would say but "6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other". I have the Pulsar NSP and I like them and I didn't have to conjur up a scheme for mounting the tail light.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I have combination wingtip position/strobe lights that include the rear (white) lights. Something often unknown or ignored in the experimental aircraft world is that these lights are frequently not technically legal for night flight. Depending on wingspan, wingtip design/shape and installed position of those lights, they may not be visible directly behind the aircraft at the legally required distance and angle. That’s not an issue with a tail-mounted light. Just a little food for thought.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

The WAT (Whelen) Orion lights are legal for night flight. I bought the smaller ones (shrug). They don't meet the TSO requirement (which I think John showed does apply to experimental aircraft) for intensity even though they're brighter than pretty much anything from the 1930s-80s.

I've always thought position lights are an odd requirement. If you're close enough to determine the orientation of a plane based on the red, green and white light you're either very close in trail or are about to trade paint.

I'm a big fan of not running wires to the tail or mounting a light back there.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I just finished buttoning up my rudder using the whelen tail light. I would not recommend this if not necessary. The wire itself is no big deal but the covering in that spot is quite a challenge if you choose to put the housing underneath it. Overtop it just looks like an afterthought.
    My thought process was that I don't want to have to retrofit one back there later so I may as well get it out of the way now.

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    The WAT (Whelen) Orion lights are legal for night flight. I bought the smaller ones (shrug). They don't meet the TSO requirement (which I think John showed does apply to experimental aircraft) for intensity even though they're brighter than pretty much anything from the 1930s-80s.

I've always thought position lights are an odd requirement. If you're close enough to determine the orientation of a plane based on the red, green and white light you're either very close in trail or are about to trade paint.

I'm a big fan of not running wires to the tail or mounting a light back there.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912