Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastwood Duraspray 2K Epoxy Primer

Default Eastwood Duraspray 2K Epoxy Primer

Anyone have experience with this product? I’m questioning if the temperature resistance in their product description (300-degree F) will be a problem if I cover with Oratex, which requires a 400-degree F final set/shrink temperature. I love the concept of an unlimited pot/shelf life epoxy primer I’m a rattle can, but if there is a temperature limitation to it’s adhesion, that could be a problem.

Default Re: Eastwood Duraspray 2K Epoxy Primer

I use this stuff a lot. 2K is not unlimited pot life however. The primer is (approximately) 3 days. In hot weather it is maybe two days.

As for Oratex, your iron might be set to 400F but the fabric/adhesive is not seeing that temperature unless you fall asleep at the wheel.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I use this stuff a lot. 2K is not unlimited pot life however. The primer is (approximately) 3 days. In hot weather it is maybe two days.

As for Oratex, your iron might be set to 400F but the fabric/adhesive is not seeing that temperature unless you fall asleep at the wheel.
    Are you using Eastwood’s original 2K product (AeroSpray) which clearly only has a 2-3 day shelf life once activated. Duraspray does not activate until it is exposed to the moisture in the air. Eastwood claims at least 3 years, which is effectively unlimited compared to 2-3 days.

I spoke to Eastwood’s technical rep on the product yesterday and they would not recommend it if it were going to be exposed to temperatures above 300F. The tech rep had worked on getting product approved for FAA projects, and had built RC planes with Oratex, so it seemed he knew his way around the subject. Regarding the temperature seen by the surfaces, I spoke to the tech rep at PolyFiber as well about their epoxy primer, varnish and Superfill. He was not concerned about their products seeing the 400F as he thought the Oratex fabric and glue would absorb the heat sufficiently to keep it below 325F at the surface. He was clear that Superfill needed to be sealed with epoxy primer to ensure it had a moisture barrier.

Hope this helps people.

Very interesting. I was not aware of the newer product. It is Aero Spray that I have been using. The much longer pot life would be a game changer even if it costs more money. I have to plan carefully when I mix up a can to make sure I don't waste half of it.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

U better recheck ur temp on the final shrinkin of the Oratex, ur not hot enough on ur final shrinkin. 🤓👍
    And the temp will not bother any normal epoxy primer that i have come across yet.

After u mix up ur primer, put it in the old shop fridge, that will extend ur pot life by days, just make sure its close to room temp b4 u spray it. Just dont put it in a fridge with food or **** off ur wife, ull b on ur own then!!! 🤪👍 Hahahahahahaaa
    Last edited by buckchop; 11-17-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckchop View Post
    U better recheck ur temp on the final shrinkin of the Oratex, ur not hot enough on ur final shrinkin. …
    I don’t know… it’s been about 4 years now and my Oratex is still nice and tight. I shrunk it at 320 deg. F ( the highest setting on my TOKO iron). It’s been through a few winters & summers here in Colorado, to Idaho, Oshkosh 3 times (also Oshkosh, Nebraska a couple of times ) etc., etc. I’m sure it hasn’t gotten as cold as yours has in Alaska, and that is probably a big difference, but it’s doing fine.
    Last edited by jrevens; 11-17-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I forgot to say that I believe you can probably go considerably higher than that without hurting the epoxy. I think it’s probable that the epoxy wouldn’t get hot enough to damage it because of the heatsink provided by the steel tubing or aluminum structure underneath. I think Buckshot made some good points.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

So on ur final shrinkin of Oratex. With ur Sentel heat gun set it at 450F. With the Toko iron set it at 160C and wrap the iron pad with the heatsheet they sell or cover it with 2layer of a Brawny papertowel. It helps the heat spread evenly over the iron and reduces the chance of seeing any streaks in the fabric from the edge of the iron. And stay away from where u have finish tapes or where fabric is glued to the airframe, if u heat these places it will change the tightness of ur fabric while ur shrinkin. Like i said im on my 3rd plane with it, love the stuff!!! On the first pa12 i did i saved 10.7lbs on just the fuse and tail feathers changin to the Oratex from Poly. Wish was easier to post pic here id post some of the pa12 i just finished on Nov 5th.

Good tips, and it's great to read your testimony about the weight savings... we had a pretty good discussion about that a few years ago on this forum. Your data corresponds closely with what I believed. Also... I apologize for getting your handle wrong on my previous post, buckchop!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Hahahahaaaaa no worries, been called worse👍