Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Max Gross Weight ?

Default Max Gross Weight ?

Hello, I have a question regarding the max gross wt. of my model 111 it was originally built with a 2 stroke 582 after a complete rebuild and installation of an 912 ul.I would like to know if because of the more powerful engine would I be able to increase my max. gross from 1050 lb. to ? and if so how would I go about it ? I have some of the original paper work and that's where I got the max. gross of 1050 your thoughts ? Thank you .

Default Re: Max Gross Weight ?

Max gross weight is dependent on fuselage and wing structure, not engine size. Changing from a 582 to a 912 will reduce useful load but will not increase MGW. Unless competently designed structural modifications -- and the calculations that go with them -- were done, how would you even determine where to set the new MGW? Any increase beyond 1,050# would just be a guess.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default Re: Max Gross Weight ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Max gross weight is dependent on fuselage and wing structure, not engine size. Changing from a 582 to a 912 will reduce useful load but will not increase MGW. Unless competently designed structural modifications -- and the calculations that go with them -- were done, how would you even determine where to set the new MGW? Any increase beyond 1,050# would just be a guess.
    I appreciate your reply, wishful thinking.