Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912 Gearbox Inspection Service Near Oregon

Default Rotax 912 Gearbox Inspection Service Near Oregon

Hi Everyone, looking for a 912ULS inspection service in Oregon. Close to 600 hours and have been using the dreaded 100LL fuel. Thanks in advance!
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Default Re: Rotax 912 Gearbox Inspection Service Near Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Skipatrol View Post
    Hi Everyone, looking for a 912ULS inspection service in Oregon. Close to 600 hours and have been using the dreaded 100LL fuel. Thanks in advance!
    Doh! I was hoping to find some replies here as I am on the verge of this inspection too. I know this is very wishful thinking but does anyone know if using Decalin Runup would count as unleaded fuel and extend the 600hr inspection to 1000hrs?

Quote Originally Posted by 3kdscf View Post
    Doh! I was hoping to find some replies here as I am on the verge of this inspection too. I know this is very wishful thinking but does anyone know if using Decalin Runup would count as unleaded fuel and extend the 600hr inspection to 1000hrs?
    I found a very good A&P mechanic very close to you. I shipped my gearbox to him and he did a very detailed inspection, cleaning and analysis of the condition of the gearbox. He has lots of experience with Rotax and was very easy to work with. His name is Bill Sherlock and his email is bill@aircraftserviceuk.com. He is located in Greenbrea Ca.

I have the 912ULS and use Decalin at each fill up. As a result of his analysis (below) I am now buying non-ethanol Premium at a gas station and bringing it to the airport.

His Analysis: "I completed your gearbox today. It was VERY contaminated and the slipper clutch was not working due to being clogged with lead - see photo’s. The good news is that once the box was stripped and all the lead was cleaned out, the component wear was negligible. Therefore I did not need to change the main bearing, seal, disk springs or other parts often necessary. The torsional shock absorber needed dressing as usual, but not to the normal extent I’d expect from 580 hours. I can only assume that you have not been letting it idle below 2200 RPM and have not been doing lots of circuits? I need some information from you for the paperwork. Aircraft Tail No., Engine No., Aircraft Serial No. Actual engine hours, and Aircraft Type (Kitfox ???)."
    Bill included all the information necessary for an engine log entry. Cost was a little over $700 but that also included shipping via UPS to Oregon. Worth the cost to ensure this critical maintenance is performed correctly.
    bill@aircraftserviceuk.com
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

What a nugget piece of information George. Thanks for posting it. I am coming up on 580 now as well. Definetly not something I want to procrastinate on now that I read that.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X