Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox on Montana 2200 amphibs?

Default Kitfox on Montana 2200 amphibs?

Anyone flown a Kitfox on Montana 2200 amphibs? I have a model 5 with a C90 and it seems like 2200s would be quite a bit too much float, but I'm wondering if given a bigger motor it could work. Found one post stating 2200 amphibs are 395 lbs. The seller gave me the old Subaru motor with the sale minus the reduction gearbox...

Default Re: Kitfox on Montana 2200 amphibs?

That is too much float for a 1550# GW Kitfox. They are too heavy and the plane would be over floated.

If you add about 400# to the current empty weight of your plane what is the new useful load? Is there even enough UL for fuel and a pilot? BTW the 395# you mention is most likely just the floats and may not include the mounting struts, pump and hardware. You would be lucky to have less than a 400# net EW increase after removing the wheels, brakes, gear legs, etc and installing these floats.

I wouldn't consider using the Subaru engine, especially on a float plane. The Subaru is too heavy and doesn't have very good history. A C-90 is probably not the right engine if you want to have a floatplane, you need a light weight engine and probably a minimum of 100 HP.

There have been several discussions about Kitfox on floats. You should be able to do a search and find some threads.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Sorry, I cant believe how fast time goes by and how busy life gets. Well thats what i figured. I’m looking into some mods to hop up the C90 a bit, and fortunately im pretty light so the airplane will rarely be close to max gross.

The seller gave me the old Subaru motor with the sale minus the reduction gearbox...
    This is probably the most viable solution as of now.