Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Early oil tank

Default Early oil tank

Hi,

Hoping to get some help. I’ve searched for a few days but haven’t been able to find anything. I have an early oil tank, #956-137. I think that the o-ring has swelled and I’m having trouble getting the tank lid to seal. Does anyone have the size of the o-ring. I bought a new one but it is too small ( 145x6 ). I spoke with Rotech in Canada but they couldn’t find the number or size. Said their parts book only went back to 1995.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: Early oil tank

Mike,

If you are willing to do some reverse engineering, check Mcmaster Carr on line. The O rings are buried a bit; but select "sealing" from their category menu and go to the O rings from there. They have numerous materials (plus a description of what the various o ring materials are for), metric and non metric measurements, etc.

I recall they have the inside and outside diameter plus the width of the o rings and I believe they go to 8mm in width. shouldn't be too hard to measure your oil tank and figure out inner and outer dimensions plus ring width. Also, the cost will be a small fraction of a rotax o-ring and they normally include certification data.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Early oil tank

That’s a great tip. I’ll look into that.

Thanks