Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax Alternator Conversion Kit

Default Rotax Alternator Conversion Kit

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this particular external alternator kit from Rotec Aerosport?

Alternator Conversion Kit for 2200 (rotecaerosport.com)

236.jpg
    Includes:

• Rotec Alternator
    • Alternator Bracket
    • Alternator Pulley
    • Alternator Belt
    • All required fasteners

Suitable for:
    Rotax 912/ 914
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Default Re: Rotax Alternator Conversion Kit

Brett,

No experience with this particular manufacturer; however, I can speak to some apparent difference between this and the Rotax factory Aux alternator (which I have installed).

1) Similar basic design.

2) Don't know if the alternator is the same, however, the Rotax Factory aux alternator is a nippo-denso single wire unit.

3) The pulley is different - both are made of aluminum, however, the Rotax factory unit has a 3 piece pulley where the 2 piece hub is split and affixed to the back of the prop hub with collar nuts and the sheaves are fastened to the hub halves with 6 screws. The one you are considering appears to be a one piece pulley mounted on the front of the prop hub which may affect the thickness of the prop spacer used on the front of the prop hub.

4) The brackets appear to differ a bit. The Rotax brackets are fabricated of steel while the one you are looking at appear to be made of anodized aluminum. Also - the Rotax factory unit has a bracket that fits on both sides rather than one side of the alternator ear on the top.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks for the reply, Dave

I read your post external alternator (teamkitfox.com) Very informative and great pics.

Agreed the difference in the pulley might affect the hub spacing/thickness.

Some unknowns for sure without some insight from a previous user.

Appreciate your input.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

I received an email from Paul Chernikeeff at Rotec Aerosport who gave me permission to share the details on their alternator kit for the Rotax engine.

On Oct 3, 2022, at 10:06 PM, Paul Chernikeeff wrote:

Hi Brett,

Our Rotax kits are not so well known but they do work great.
    Our Rotax alternator kit has a large pulley that slides over the Rotax prop flange drive dowels and center spigot. The pulley gets sandwiched between the prop and flange and is 5 mm thick and so would push the prop forward the same amount.
    The kits are well received and work perfectly.

Alternator Conversion Kit for 2200 (rotecaerosport.com)

Will be interesting to see if it fits inside the ss7 cowling.
    If I get one, I'll post a thread in the Product Review section.

rotec1.jpg
    rotec2.jpg
    rotec3.jpg
    rotec4.jpg
    rotec5.jpg

Brett Butler