Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Heater Instructions

Default Cabin Heater Instructions

Hi all,

Finally getting back to the build. I'm thinking of renaming it the sloth build. Does anyone have the installation instructions for the cabin heater? There are several different versions out out there. The original owner purchased the kit in 2013. Below are pictures of my heater core and some of the hardware. I appreciate any help and advice that you have.

Thanks,

IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg

Todd
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Default Re: Cabin Heater Instructions

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I did mine like DesertFox but happened to have some installation process pictures.

Heater spacing.jpgHeater installed.jpgHeater spacing 2.jpg

I don't remember why I felt the spacing operation was needed - maybe as you do yours it will become clear. Or, someone else may be able to weigh in if it is even needed.

I tried playing that game with the computer fans as well and there it’s wasn’t enough heat come the really cold weather. I went with a ducted and shrouded option that I absolutely love. Cover the shroud inlet at the firewall much like Cessnas do with a small sliding piece of aluminum plate and you have a cable driven on/off for your heater and it consumes zero additional power and pulls heat out from under the cowl.

I have about 4 more of these shrouds cut (not bent) that I could get out to anyone that’s interested

3EF13B52-DC58-468C-B8C2-94C24C871637.jpg

You guys are great! Thanks for the quick replies. The pictures are extremely helpful. Gonna put in tomorrow!!

Todd
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

AvDES, this is exactly what I was thinking of doing. The computer fans just aren't cutting it. Do you have any pics of the firewall/engine side of this installation? ...and I'd definitely be interested in one of the shrouds!

Quote Originally Posted by AvDES LLC View Post
    ...Cover the shroud inlet at the firewall much like Cessnas do with a small sliding piece of aluminum plate and you have a cable driven on/off for your heater and it consumes zero additional power and pulls heat out from under the cowl.

I have about 4 more of these shrouds cut (not bent) that I could get out to anyone that’s interested

3EF13B52-DC58-468C-B8C2-94C24C871637.jpg

It appears I didnÂ’t take a photo after completing the hole in the firewall. IÂ’ll snag one tonight and post it. I didnÂ’t end up going with the sliding aluminum flap - I have a ball valve on my heater core that allows me to shut off coolant flow to the heater so the air coming through the tube kinda just keeps my toes cool in the summer haha. Ill try to get a few different angles of photos for you. Shoot me a private message to discuss the shroud if you are still in need.

So you're using air from the engine compartment? Is that safe from a CO perspective?
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

I would assume it is no different (if not slightly safer) than the standard means of heating your cabin when considering how the certified aircraft do it. As long as you have a decently maintained exhaust system that doesnt dump CO under the colwing instead of out of the pipe end it shouldnt be a worry. Couple that with the less than ideal "sealing" that the cabin of a KF has alongside the digital CO meter I fly with, im about as worried of a CO issue in this plane as I am with my 175.

That makes sense. The diagram is helpful to see how it's done in certified aircraft. I am installing a CO detector as well.
    I like the idea of not relying on electric fans.

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x