Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your CG and tail wheel weight?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What's your CG and tail wheel weight?

I'm weighing 923 EW after adding 15lbs to the tail. I'm at 12.02 cg and my tailwheel weight is 71lbs. Flys pretty good at this CG. Just wondering what CG others are flying at....
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: What's your CG and tail wheel weight?

Model 5 with some 7 upgrades. EW is 798. CG is 12.14. Tail weighed 73 pounds.

I am guessing that the 15 pounds you added to the tail is because of the airmaster prop?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Model 5 with some 7 upgrades. EW is 798. CG is 12.14. Tail weighed 73 pounds.

I am guessing that the 15 pounds you added to the tail is because of the airmaster prop?

I used the earth x battery at 3.2 lbs. instead of the 16 lb odyssey battery in the rear they recommend for the 915 install and yes the 16 lb heaver prop has to be off set too. I was just wondering what the normal tailwheel weights were. thanks
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

807lbs and 56 tail weight.

9.32 CG w/75" Airmaster

Your cg is close to what my cg was before adding the weight. Do you have problems doing 3 point landings? That's the reason I added weight.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

No problem. I can touch the tail first. Not just 3 point. Put gaffers tape or elevator seals on your tail too.

I could tell a difference when I installed the Airmaster. Have since gone with an EarthX battery and have slowly forgotten how it used to fly.

Harlan , have you installed the trim assist kit? that helps a bunch too. On my Series 5 (with a heavy Continental IO-240 up front, 250 lbs worth)and which has the smaller elevator than you guys with the newer airplanes , I had to do a few things to make full stall landings doable. As much weight aft (to me its a sin to carry deadweight for the sake of balance) so 16 Lb Odyssey & ELT in empennage, gap seals and the trim assist kit. I have full elevator authority and can 3 point at any flap setting. Bruce N199CL

I did as Phil did only I wish I would have known about the Gorilla Tape. Oh well, I had expensive clear anti-chafe tape that worked the same and it isn't all that noticeable as Jim states. Just way more expensive. I have had it in place for about 300 hrs and it hasn't budged whatsoever.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    I used the earth x battery at 3.2 lbs. instead of the 16 lb odyssey battery in the rear they recommend for the 915 install and yes the 16 lb heaver prop has to be off set too. I was just wondering what the normal tailwheel weights were. thanks
    Harlan,
    How did you add the weight to your tail? Doing it over again, would you have gone with the Odyssey battery?
    I was planning to use the EarthX also to save weight but have a feeling I'll be in the same position needing to add extra tail weight. I chose a ground adjustable prop over Airmaster which is lighter but I am thinkiing of going with a Dynon panel and the Fastrak mounting system which will put most of my avionics behind my panel (forward of CG) as opposed to in tail and behind seat pan.

Quote Originally Posted by olsonCCR View Post
    Harlan,
    How did you add the weight to your tail? Doing it over again, would you have gone with the Odyssey battery?
    I was planning to use the EarthX also to save weight but have a feeling I'll be in the same position needing to add extra tail weight. I chose a ground adjustable prop over Airmaster which is lighter but I am thinkiing of going with a Dynon panel and the Fastrak mounting system which will put most of my avionics behind my panel (forward of CG) as opposed to in tail and behind seat pan.

I just made a lead weight and bolted in the spare hole in the tailwheel gear.
    Started at 5lbs and ended at 14. I could fly without it but it has a super heavy stick on final approach. I gained 4 mph when I added the weight on the same fuel burn by balancing the plane a little better and landings are much easier for me.
    I wanted the earth x battery because of the extra power. I knew I would have to add the weight but it takes much less on the tail then it does in the battery compartment.
    Yes your ground adjustable prop is 16 lb lighter and will help your balance a lot.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer