Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your CG and tail wheel weight?

Default Re: What's your CG and tail wheel weight?

I like that Bruce!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

So do I. Very clever and super cheap. What's the rubberized coating? Plasti-Dip?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Eric, when I made these , some other guys were asking questions so I did a tutorial with pics in 2013. Sorry I don't know how to bring old threads to add to this thread so if you go to advanced search : KEYWORD: gap seals USERNAME: micro mong bldr you will find it. The coating was a spray called "performix plastic dip multi purpose rubber coating" basically the stuff you dip tool handles in but in a spray can. A light spray of this to keep the foam from absorbing water. 9 years on mine and they still look like when I installed them. Bruce N199CL

Bruce - Copied your tutorial and brought it forward.

Gary

Bruce's Gap Seal Post:

Hi Steve, they say pics are worth a thousand words, so here is a brief tutorial on how I made my cheapo gap seals. Indeed the material is simply pipe insulation from the depot or lowes. On my Series 5 , my horizontal stab and elevator tube diameter where the seal is installed is about 1 and 1/4 ", so I used a 1" pipe insulation (I suspect 3/4" would work fine as well). Don't know if all models are this diameter. I needed roughly 8 feet of material to cover all gaps. You don't cut it in half , that would give the wrong shape to the foam. You have to replicate your empennage tubes with a simple cutting jig as shown in the following photos. I had a piece of 1" copper on hand but pvc would work in about a 1'' diameter. Once cut to size , I initially tried to wedge them in place , but test flights revealed that elevator travel and propwash would move them slightly, so I contact cemented them in place to each tube. As the elevator moves up and down the radiused part of the foam roll on each other. When cementing in place , put the seal in place when the cement is still wet so you can reposition them to final position before it dries. I would do the stab seal (forward one) let it dry then the elevator (aft one) so you don't disturb the installed one. Do not know if the gap distance is the same for all Kitfox models so you may have to find the right foam for your installation. Hope this helps Bruce

gap seal cutting 1.jpggap seal cutting 2.jpggap seal cutting 3.jpggap seal cutting 4.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Gary, thank you for doing that , I need a tutorial on that procedure because many time I remeber an old post (like this one) that I'd like to apply to the new builders' threads. Been following your build and it looks like you're gonna have a fine Kitfox when you're done, Bruce N199CL

Bruce and Gary -- thanks very much!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings