Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your CG and tail wheel weight?

Default Re: What's your CG and tail wheel weight?

Quote Originally Posted by olsonCCR View Post
    Harlan,
    How did you add the weight to your tail? Doing it over again, would you have gone with the Odyssey battery?
    I was planning to use the EarthX also to save weight but have a feeling I'll be in the same position needing to add extra tail weight. I chose a ground adjustable prop over Airmaster which is lighter but I am thinkiing of going with a Dynon panel and the Fastrak mounting system which will put most of my avionics behind my panel (forward of CG) as opposed to in tail and behind seat pan.

I just made a lead weight and bolted in the spare hole in the tailwheel gear.
    Started at 5lbs and ended at 14. I could fly without it but it has a super heavy stick on final approach. I gained 4 mph when I added the weight on the same fuel burn by balancing the plane a little better and landings are much easier for me.
    I wanted the earth x battery because of the extra power. I knew I would have to add the weight but it takes much less on the tail then it does in the battery compartment.
    Yes your ground adjustable prop is 16 lb lighter and will help your balance a lot.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Thanks Harlan. I like your approach. EarthX is definitely a more appealing solution to me. Have a great night!
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    What do you use for gap seals and what is your tail weight on your plane.
    I used roll of heavy duty 2" clear Gorilla tape that I bought at Walmart. I put a strip on the top of the stab and bottom of the elevator. They stick to each other in the gap with about a 1" overlap. It's hard to even see that they are there and it has held up for several years.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I used roll of heavy duty 2" clear Gorilla tape that I bought at Walmart. I put a strip on the top of the stab and bottom of the elevator. They stick to each other in the gap with about a 1" overlap. It's hard to even see that they are there and it has held up for several years.

Thanks Phil. I just couldn't see in my mind how the tape would work with all the movement back there because I thought it needed to be smooth across the top. Thanks for the idea.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

I did as Phil did only I wish I would have known about the Gorilla Tape. Oh well, I had expensive clear anti-chafe tape that worked the same and it isn't all that noticeable as Jim states. Just way more expensive. I have had it in place for about 300 hrs and it hasn't budged whatsoever.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I did as Phil did only I wish I would have known about the Gorilla Tape. Oh well, I had expensive clear anti-chafe tape that worked the same and it isn't all that noticeable as Jim states. Just way more expensive. I have had it in place for about 300 hrs and it hasn't budged whatsoever.
    Thanks Eddie, did it make much difference on your elevator control?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

I also used the expensive 3M leading edge tape on my elevator gap. It been on now for about 7 years with no sign of coming loose or UV deterioration. Yes Harlan, it did make a noticeable difference.

I had previously tried those extruded foam gap fillers from Cubcrafters (very expensive) and they kept blowing out and getting lost-totally unacceptable.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I also used the expensive 3M leading edge tape on my elevator gap. It been on now for about 7 years with no sign of coming loose or UV deterioration. Yes Harlan, it did make a noticeable difference.

I had previously tried those extruded foam gap fillers from Cubcrafters (very expensive) and they kept blowing out and getting lost-totally unacceptable.

Thanks Jim, I will have Susan pick me up a roll today and give it a try.
    I almost ordered the cub seals and my friend said they were too small for the kitfox gap and wouldn't stay in.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Did you guys' just tape between the elevator hinges or over them also?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Harlan , I looked into the cubcrafters foam gap seals back in 2013 , but at 200 bucks (back then ) I decided to do what thrifty (OK ,cheap) home builders do and went to home depot for supplies and made my own. Made from standard pipe insulation with a rubberized coating for waterproofing. Been installed since 2013 with no problems . Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images