Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Timing of my first annual

Default Timing of my first annual

Does anyone know the rules for the timing of the first annual condition inspection after a new airplane build is certified as airworthy? Is it 12 months after any of the following options, or some other milestone?

a) receipt of the air worthiness certification
    b) final build condition inspection (per the Kitfox build manual)
    c) first flight
    d) other???
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Timing of my first annual

I am 99% sure it is due within 12 calendar months from the issuance of the Special Airworthiness Certificate.

If you are not an A&P you can't legally sign a condition inspection until you have your repairman's certificate. You couldn't have done an legal condition inspection at the end of your build.
    Last edited by PapuaPilot; 09-12-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Phil,

Thanks for the info. I got my repairman certificate within a week of my airworthiness certificate.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Larry - congrats on receiving your repairman's certificate so soon. From what I've been told that is somewhat unusual.

As to your question - Phil is 100% correct. The answer lies in Order 8130.2j (instructions to the FAA or DAR) which says: (pay particular attention to the last sentence)

15-3(3) Verify that aircraft records include a completed statement from the owner that the aircraft has been inspected per part 43, appendix D, or other approved programs, and was found
    to be in a condition for safe operation. The inspection will help identify any errors made during construction of the aircraft. This statement will support the owner’s inspection and airworthiness
    statement in block III of FAA Form 8130-6. Note: There is no requirement for a certificated mechanic to sign off on the inspection. The builder’s signature on FAA Form 8130-6, block III,
    attests to the airworthiness of the aircraft.

If your AWC came out of the standard FAA system, the rest is in paragraph 10.

I also got my Repairman's Certificate within a week of getting the AW Certificate. You just march down to your local FSDO with AW Certificate in hand, along with proof you did 51% of the work (photos, build log, etc.-don't stress on this-just reasonable proof) and they look it over and issue the Repairman's Certificate on the spot while you wait. I suppose if you have to mail or email all this stuff it would take longer.

Regarding timing of annuals, I have had a dilemma from the beginning: I understand the condition inspection must be done annually, but Rotax (if you follow their maintenance requirements) requires a thorough engine inspection/maintenance every 100 hours. The dilemma occurs when the annual does not fall near a 100 hour point, which is nearly all the time. Since the annual requires engine inspection, I do not feel it is necessary to repeat an engine inspection at annual when I may have already done it a couple months ago at x00 hours, or am due to do it in another month or so. Since I consistently fly more than 100 hours per year, nothing ever exceeds a year in being performed. So my solution is to do the annual condition inspection once per year as required- minus all the engine stuff that occurs at 100 hour intervals, then do the Rotax required engine stuff on the 100 hour schedule whenever that may occur. My maintenance logs for both engine and airframe clearly show all this. I realize that if you don't fly more than 100 hours per year this method is probably illegal. For me I hope it is legal, but am not sure. Just trying to satisfy both the FAA and Rotax without overdoing it. Comments?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I'm not sure that the Rotax 100 hr inspection is an FAA requirement. Just like the 5 yr rubber replacement and other things I would think. JImChuk

You are right Jim, the 100 hour is only a Rotax requirement to maintain warranty. I am trying to satisfy both FAA AND Rotax; that's why my dilemma and odd-ball solution.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS