Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Assembly Clamps

Default Assembly Clamps

Hi all,

I'm getting closer to the big day and trying to make sure I have everything I need. From looking over all of the build threads it's obvious that a variety of clamps are needed during assembly but I don't see any threads discussing this specifically (probably because anything will work?). Regardless, I'm interested in what your favorite was during your build and approximately how many are needed at once. Do you like spring clamps, ratcheting clamps, 2 inch, 4 inch, etc. I'm guessing the ones with pivoting pads and a vee for gripping round things are helpful? Links and pictures appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd
    Todd Swanson
    Tremont, IL

S7 STi build in progress…

Default Re: Assembly Clamps

Hi Todd, I liked the ratcheting clamps the best and used them all the way from the little 2'' up to a couple of 12''. Mine are all harbor freight specials. I used spring clamps also, but they won't put the force that the ratcheting clamps will. You will need a dozen of each I'd guess.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Here is a picture of my clamps. Most are from Amazon

The spring clamps on the bottom are 3/4 and 1" purchased in a set (just ordered another set today), the small clamps on the wall are 6" and are very handy. The larger ones are good for many things, be sure to get some with a larger open span.

IMG_0664.jpg
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

I think I have two dozen of those 1" spring clamps. I started with one dozen but kept running out, so I ordered another bag. I've got a dozen of the 3/4" and they're handy but don't have the reach (or the oomph) that the 1" do.
    The 1" spring clamps are indispensable for bonding the aluminum trim around the door frames, and you need a lot of them unless you want to bond them in one strip at a time. They are also super handy during wing build, and for covering.

And yes, almost impossible to have too many of the ratchet clamps in various sizes too.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I found that Cleco clamps were useful in my build. They come in two sizes (grip)
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)