Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Air Filter for a 912 on a Model IV

Default Air Filter for a 912 on a Model IV

I'm having trouble getting replacement K&N RU-2700 air filters for my Model IV. The conical filters will definitely not fit due to how close the carbs are to the firewall. Has anyone used the Rotax SP-2706 filters in this installation? I see some use the DNA filter or the K&N RA-045V so I am considering those also.

I took a spare set of air filters (RU-2700) with me to Burning Man two weeks ago as I know they will get very dusty and I have always changed them before I leave. I gave 25 plane rides off of the dry dusty lake bed and they were indeed very dirty. But, the spare set would not install as the rubber flanges had become too hard. So, the initial day of flying home had me climbing to 11.5K feet to clear terrain and the engine was running way too rich due to the low air flow and thin air. The EGT was low and the engine missing some at my normal power settings so I had to throttle back. I was able to clean, dry and oil the dirty filters that evening and all was well for the rest of the trip home. I would like to have a spare set that I can swap out for trips like this.

Thanks!

Hank
    Last edited by henrysamson; 09-06-2022 at 04:56 PM.

Default Re: Air Filter for a 912 on a Model IV

I just bought a couple of the RA-0450 filters off of ebay for $40 each. They were unused, still wrapped in plastic. Not sure they have any left, but regular price is $55 or $60 each. K&N #RA-0450 Clamp-On AIR FILTER ~2.063" flange ~2" tall washable reusable | eBay JImChuk

Default Re: Air Filter for a 912 on a Model IV

Hey Hank..... They also sell mesh covers for the Air cleaners that "Pre-Filter" the air. I Have some friends who run ATV/UTV's out in the desert and they use them when getting bombarded with dust. Easy to put on and take off and save the filter.