Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotax

Default Rotax

Does the rotax have single point failure electronic ignition?

Default Re: Rotax

What Rotax are you asking about? Early 2 strokes had points ignition. Later 2 strokes went to CDI ignition, 503 and 582 were dual ignition, and 912 has dual electronic ignition

The engine is an Edgeperformance EP915Eci

I'm not aware of any Kitfoxes flying with the EP915ECi. Most Kitfox builders who use an Edge engine buy the EP912STi.

The Edge Performance website doesn't appear to offer engine manual downloads, but you can ask them about the EP915ECi via their contact form.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I can confirm that I have fitted the EP915Eci with a constant speed Airmaster propeller to my Kitfox 5 Safari Speedster and it performs extremely well now - maybe too well! Could somebody tell how I could fit an auxiliary power system that would give me backup power for about 30 mins in case of an electrical failure.

Your battery should be able to do that? Maybe explain more what you are thinking?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

If my charging system failed and my battery started to drain is there something that a could switch to to give me 30 minutes to find somewhere to land! Once the battery is flat then the engine stops being fuel injection.

Couple options. I opted for a separate charging system. Edge sells aftermarket alternator that I use. The stock rotax system with the rotax voltage regulator stays as my backup charging system. I run everything off my edge 35 amp alternator that has its own voltage regulator. Usually charging system goes down because of the voltage regulator failing. If that happens then I run my buss off my rotax stock alternator system. I have will have to cut back what I am running, like lights or heater. I opted for a single buss so everything can be powered if I want. I have two breaker switches that select what charging system I am running off. I can run one or the other or both. I prefer to run off one and have the other on standby.

Another option is install a backup battery that can be used to power your buss and extend your flight time off battery power? But yes you are correct you are running a electric engine now. Make sure to setup good alarms that let you know if your charging system has failed so your now running off battery power and not knowing it. With that being said I know of someone who took off without his charging system working and flew for over an hour off battery power. He has two g3xs, two radios, autopilot, basically all the bells and whistles and he got an hour before his engine died. I have my g3x to alert me if my battery volts drop below 13.2 volts, the resting volts of the earthx battery. Below 13 volts and another red alarm will alert me if I missed the yellow warning. I would argue electricity is more important that fuel on these engines!
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 09-14-2022 at 06:57 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by GAVM View Post
    If my charging system failed and my battery started to drain is there something that a could switch to to give me 30 minutes to find somewhere to land! Once the battery is flat then the engine stops being fuel injection.
    If a few minutes off the battery is not enough I would think about a 2nd alternator. There is the front mounted pulley kit from Rotax. If you have room there is the standby alternator that can be mounted on the vacuum drive pad behind the gearbox. Also there are 2nd alternators made to mount behind the magneto/flywheel.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Thank you for your advice it has been most useful