Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Series 7 Super Sport - Show Me Fox

Default Re: Kitfox Series 7 Super Sport - Show Me Fox

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    It seems to be very common on these forums to see people spend much time and effort, even struggle, to make the flaperon clamp blocks to accuracies and profile fit that are show quality...
    That would have been some valuable insight about a month ago or so. A “V” cut at a 45 degree angle and something to pinch the trailing edge would have been perfect and something easy to create.

It took me longer to borrow the right tools and come up with the right materials than it took me to make the block. I started by ripping some old 2x4 that I had. When I came back to them 2 days later after I got off work they were terribly warped and bowed. I know I stress on the details but it makes me feel better about life at the end of the day.

Wing rigging was quite the ordeal, despite having repeated measurements and using an amazing jig that I had borrowed i fretted over dorking up those holes.

I connected my flaperons today just to see a control surface move for the first time. It was pretty satisfying. My left flaperon had much more movement than the right. I’m sure this was simply a matter of getting things adjusted right.

We all hope our posts may help someone now or down the line. I just like to play it forward because I remember my appreciation for advice I got during and even before my build. Right after I ordered my kit I started becoming a regular reader of this forum, and by the time the kit arrived I had tucked away a huge amount of essential tips, thanks to those who went before me.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default 20 March 2023 - Seat Pan

Did some more final fitting on the seat pan, smooth and round corners. Cut the left side below the edge of the door frame.

Received some feedback regarding the bowing of the fiberglass. The feedback I am receiving is you can use heat to warm the seat pan and mitigate some of the bowing. Other feedback I have received is it won’t be noticed after the upholstery is in. The gap is about 3/8 to 1/2” in the middle. I would like to mitigate it if possible.

Update from previous post. Used a low profile Velcro squares to hold the tool box covers in place. I have had good luck so far and I am pretty happy not needing to drill holes in the seat pan and cover.

Also discussed upholstery with another owner. They recommended seat foam from Oregon Aero. I will reach out to them and receive a quote. Otherwise Pinterest is looking mighty appealing in comparison to the factory upholstery kit.

That would take quite a bit of heat to move the contour of the fiberglass seat pan. I don't think I'd go that route.

Make sure you're sitting down when you read the quote from Oregon Aero. It will make the Kitfox quote very appealing. And honestly the workmanship on the factory seat cushions is fantastic.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Last year when I talked with them they wanted $5300 for a finished set of seats. I hit the floor. The foam was 330 per seat which I could deal with and come up with a basic covering.

I was really happy with the upholstery from the kitfox mothership.
    Heather was great to work with. She called me several times doublechecking on all the details.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    I was really happy with the upholstery from the kitfox mothership.
    Heather was great to work with. She called me several times doublechecking on all the details.
    Both Heather and Brandon are great to work with. The two turned my experience around with the support side of the world.

I ordered a set of seat cushion cores from Oregon Aero today they were not too painful. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and appear to be a little more ergonomic than the factory cushions.

When I get them I plan on having a side by side comparison and making my final decision at that point. Worst case scenario I will be out shipping. I have been watching some videos on how to do upholstery so I think I will give it a try. That will give me freedom in an area I can be confident won’t cause me to fall out of the sky.

Default 30 April 2023 - Flaperons, Revisiting Rib 1, Seat Cores

This is a catch-up of the work that has been accomplished this month. Photos may be viewed at my EAA Builders Log page as there are too many to post on a single thread.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=KitfoxS7SS

This entry includes about 3 weeks of work.

I was having trouble getting my flaperons to mount correctly. I had convinced myself that the No 1 rib had been installed improperly and was out of alignment with the remaining ribs.

The No 1 rib was removed by cutting through the web and a chisel was used with a generous safety margin to remove the wood and hysol from around the spar. A flap wheel and dremel was used to remove additional material and once close to the spar sandpaper and scotch brite was used to clean up the remaining hysol and prevent damage to the spar. This technique was used rather than heat to ensure the bonding between the spar reinforcement bracket and the spar was not compromised.

Replacement ribs were ordered and fitted. Initially sandpaper was used to try and lap the rib to the contour of the spar and lower the trailing edge where the flaperon fit neutral.

Several emails and phone calls with kitfox were made to try and determine the issue. Discussion was held with Alex M. After speaking with Brandon he said to try and use a piece of angle aluminum to project a line from rib 3 through 5 to rib 1. What I finally determined I fitted the flaperon incorrectly.

The rib reinforcement brackets were removed and hysol beneath removed with a dremel. New reinforcement brackets were ordered.

Today the No 1 rib was bonded to the spars. I used 4 yard sticks to position the rib. Alignment with its neighboring ribs was checked using a mason line. I plan to bond rib No 1 on the left wing tomorrow.

I also dressed up the new rib reinforcement brackets today and prepped their bonding locations on the right wing. While dressing the brackets I noted cracks in 2 of them. I have contacted Kitfox for replacements.

While examining the trailing edge it was noted the trailing edge reinforcement between rib 7 and 8 were not flush. Using a straight edge along the bottom it was discovered there was a slight bow preventing the reinforcement from fully seating in the trailing edge strips. An email was sent to kitfox to determine the best way to fix this issue.

Received seat cores from Oregon Aero. They are the standard cut. They are quite comfortable and contour the body where the standard Kitfox seat cushions are a simple flat piece of foam.

I will need to make seat covers in the future. I will continue to gather ideas for upholstery ideas.

Attached Images Attached Images

Default 1 May 2023 - Left No 1 Rib, Right Rib Reinforcement Brackets, AP Mounts

Located and bond No 1 rib on left wing. Checked alignment with mason line prior to bonding to ensure alignment with neighboring ribs.

Finished prep work on the reinforcement brackets for the right wing. Located and drilled holes in the left brackets then positioned and match drilled the right brackets. Disassemble, debur, and prep brackets for bonding. Bond and rivet brackets to run 1, 3, 5, and 7 on the right wing. Clean up excess Hysol.

Prepped the auto pilot mounts with a hitch brite and wiped with alcohol. Drilled and debur holes for transponder plate. There are no rivets specified in the directions to use. I requested Kitfox send additional rivets with replacement brackets.

I also requested an additional 2 pieces of trailing edge because there is a bow in the lower edge which prevents the trailing edge reinforcements from sitting down inside the material.

I need to touch up the epoxy primer on the spar and varnish rib no 1 prior to installing the wing tanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images