Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Series 7 Super Sport - Show Me Fox

Default Re: Kitfox Series 7 Super Sport - Show Me Fox

Good to see you moving forward. Bummer on that rib fracture, sometimes it's slow going. Keep your eyes on the prize!

"Regardless I have ran out of time in the day and so the wing will be living upstairs this week. My wife is going to be thrilled."

I, and many others understand all too well!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Default Re: 24 February 2023 - Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Murphy View Post
    A call of shame was made and additional parts were ordered
    Sorry to hear that this happened. Especially to one who has been so meticulous. But consider your 'call of shame' to be the right of passage into just another of the long list of exclusive clubs (with oh so many members) that builders have the opportunity to join. It does provide us the opportunity to develop our empathy skills does it not?

Keep on it Jason and good on the wife for understanding the need to have the wing where you can perform your normal excellent work.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default 25 March 2024 - When things seem to be going right

Hung flaperon on wing. Made sure that the hangar for the No 9 rib was aligned with the rib.

Located and bonded No 9 rib in place.

When things were looking up my terrible luck reared its ugly head again. The dog tried to jump on our couch and she didn't quite make it. On her fall to the floor she caught the trailing edge of the flaperon and put a good ding in the leading edge of the slots that had been cut for the hinges.

Used dremel to remove excess hysol from the outboard side of the no 10 rib to provide more edge margin to both the aluminum strip and cap strip. Match drilled the No 10 rib with the aluminum strips that had been fitted to the old No 10 that had been cut away.

Locate No 10 rib. I plan on bonding the rib in place tomorrow evening and to look for good ways to repair the damage to the flaperon. I was thinking order some monel rivets that hold the balance weights on and bonding and riveting a doubler in place. Then making the opposite side match.

For some reason I am unable to attach my images. Click link for images.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ShowMeFox

Jason, you're not the first guy to have damaged flaperon hinge slots. Mine were a terrible mess when I bought my kit. Based on some ideas from others on this forum, I drew up some skin repair patches and had them laser cut.

See this post and the posts that follow. I still have some of the patches left; if you need one or more, let me know.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Jason, you're not the first guy to have damaged flaperon hinge slots. Mine were a terrible mess when I bought my kit. Based on some ideas from others on this forum, I drew up some skin repair patches and had them laser cut.

See this post and the posts that follow. I still have some of the patches left; if you need one or more, let me know.
    Eric, Thank You for the offer. I may take you up on that. Your flaperon was definitely buggered up a bit worse than mine was. I will probably take you up on your offer. I am still doing some brainstorming on the issue and gathering ideas. I do like how yours turned out.

Default 28 March 2024 - Given the boot

No 9 and No 10 are back in place. I am still needing to fabricate some false ribs and clean up the reinforcements for the No 10 rib.

My middle son was home from school on spring break. I asked if he wanted to help and he applied some Hysol. Waited an hour and did the usual sculpting making a nice looking fillet. This time I left some room between the spar and cap strip on the outboard side of No 10 to allow the aluminum strip to slide in.

Cleaned up the trailing edge of the rib to bond a new trailing edge back on.

After the adhesive was good and setup the wife gave me the boot and my project and I were banished to the basement.

Once again I tried to upload pictures but was unable. Is anyone else having trouble with this. I am using an iPhone.

Again photos are here https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ShowMeFox

I have a stack of surplus false ribs.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Default 7 April 2024 - End Rib Support & False Ribs

Did some reorganizing of my work area to make some more work space. Scarlett decided she was going to come help.

Cleaned up and match drilled end rib braces to ribs. Bond and rivet using the clean, prep, bond, rivet sequence outlined in the manual. Used a small dremel tool to clear the tiny bead of hysol which prevents a flush bond with the shear web of the rib. This hysol will be replaced when I bond the rib brace to the rib.

Cut some new false ribs using an original rib as a template. Clean and prep once again. Measure and place false ribs. The rib bay is divided into 3 equal sections. Index marks are made with a sharpie. Individual ribs are straightened using a 4? level as a straight edge.

By this time I have really perfected placing them in there square. Using a 4? level to bridge the ribs and a square the false ribs are placed perpendicular to the spars. Using an adjustable square you can drop the straight edge to the opposite side of the wing to ensure alignment.

Again pulling from other areas of the manual the false ribs are bonded with a dot of super glue to temporarily hold them in place. Hysol is then used to securely bond the false ribs into place.

I am now back to where I was before my last oops. However I am in a better place.

I am curious to see if replacing the rib will mean the flaperon brackets won't align. We will dry fit and check it out.

Used a sanding block to square up the leading edge extrusion with the end of the wing spar. I am wondering if this would be a good time to fit my wintips.

Not sure why I am still having trouble uploading images. See the link to my EAA Build log for images. Anyone else have trouble doing this with an iPhone and Safari?

Yeah, uploading photos from an iPhone was a nightmare for me too. I email them to myself as a means to transfer them to my Windows PC, then I upload to the forum from there. I'm storing all my build photos on my PC anyway to avoid getting "buy more cloud storage" messages from Apple, so it doesn't really add any work for me.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Yeah, uploading photos from an iPhone was a nightmare for me too. I email them to myself as a means to transfer them to my Windows PC, then I upload to the forum from there. I'm storing all my build photos on my PC anyway to avoid getting "buy more cloud storage" messages from Apple, so it doesn't really add any work for me.
    Funny. I do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason. The iPhone just does not like to upload photos. It will attach them to email nicely but download is another story.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG