Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Kitfox Series 7 Super Sport - Show Me Fox

Default Re: Kitfox Series 7 Super Sport - Show Me Fox

Nice job Brett with those forward facing lights. Looks like a lot of work but turned out very nice.
    I also have the hoerner wingtips, but after all the work to get the nav light mounts installed and faired I was too burned out to tackle the forward facing landing lights, but now wish I had done it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Brett,

I do like the stand offs that you made from balsa. That would be an excellent option to make the balsa match the profile of the light itself. I was thinking about tracing the outline and loving on it with sandpaper until it matched. I have an idea in the works for the forward facing light. It?s still in development though.

Unfortunately, I am beginning to run low on Hysol. I may need to get a tube of it. I sure hope that I wouldn?t need another pint.

My other thought was instead of using hysol buying a quart of West System resin, hardener, and a bit of cloth. Since I will be doing the fiberglass work on the cowlings and wingtips and this would preserve what I have left of my Hysol.

Does anyone have experience with West Systems? The other option would be Aeropoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Just clamp the trailing edges of the wingtip together with plenty of Hysol inside. Then sand for a nice rounded edge.

Lights on a Hoerner wingtip are a pain. All you can do is use that additional piece and fit it as nicely as you can, bond with Hysol, and then fair it in with much sanding and SuperFill. After a lot of work it will look pretty good. Unfortunately, there is no good way to install forward facing lights in this wingtip, although I believe someone has done it with much effort.

I did some work in my shop over the past few days. With the assistance of my cousin I ran the wiring and installed the outlet for my new air compressor. I ended up going with a stationary 60 gallon Quincy Compressor. I will need to add some filters and water traps before I use it for painting but we are getting closer. I plan to consult with someone who is much more knowledgeable on the subject before making additional investment.

I have been in touch with Marty Feehan at Stewart Systems and he was kind enough to share detailed photos of his setup.

I also went and took a look at some camper upgrades for what has become the annual pilgrimage to Oshkosh.

Not Kitfox related but I passed my multi engine check ride today and will begin work on my MEI rating soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone have experience with West Systems?
    Jason, I have worked with West Systems. When working on composite (wing tips) West Systems is a better product than Hysol. Do the layups with the glass, fill with micro, sand to finish.

The process is easy, but there are somethings that take experience to learn. Using the epoxy mixed with micro to a peanut butter consistence makes for a good filler and sands easy.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Jason, I have worked with West Systems. When working on composite (wing tips) West Systems is a better product than Hysol. Do the layups with the glass, fill with micro, sand to finish.

The process is easy, but there are somethings that take experience to learn. Using the epoxy mixed with micro to a peanut butter consistence makes for a good filler and sands easy.
    I can agree with Ralph about the West systems epoxy. I especially like their pumps that go on the container tops for an easy way to accurately get the proper mixing ratio. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Wing tips are a pita, as it is with all tasks building the kitfox, but all the hard work pays off!
    I used balsa blocks to form the base for the nav lights as the pre-formed fiberglass mount was not to my liking. SuperFill smoothed the transitions.

Attachment 33764 Attachment 33765 Attachment 33763 Attachment 33766 Attachment 33767
    Jason, I'm at this point on my build, and have a couple questions. Did you have to trim your wingtips? The instructions speak of a scribe line to cut them back to. On mine, (which were previously mounted and painted on another plane) I see a line under the paint that is ~1 inch from the edge. These don't have a good clean and straight edge, so I'm wondering if the line I see is that scribe line, but taking off nearly an inch makes me nervous because I want to install landing lights the same way you did and am afraid of running out of room. Any help would be appreciated.

Charles Dutch