Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 1/4 in line filter.

Default 1/4 in line filter.

looking for an inline filter that's is better than the standard inline paper filter. Need part number please and where.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Default Re: 1/4 in line filter.

How about something like this:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/emg-14-34472
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

What Doug said worked great for me too!

Although the Summit Racing filter looks like a good combination of materials the 1/4" barb may be restrictive to gas flow into the fuel pump. Prior to my first flight I had experienced some gas tank fouling due to some gas accidentally poured in containing ethanol and it required extensive flushing of the gas tanks to purge the fiberglass residue that leached out of the fiberglass from the ethanol exposure. Note that newer gas tanks are using ethanol resistant fiberglass. Because I was paranoid about contaminates during my phase one flight test I had a plastic see through gas filter installed so I could monitor any potential contamination buildup. It had a 1/4" barb and together with some other contributing factors my engine was being starved of fuel at higher rpm operation during flight. The gas filter specified in the Kitfox build manual has a 5/16 barb. I wrote up about all the contributing factors in a thread entitled "912ULS stumbles in flight" and to this day I don't know which issue (gas filter restriction, Carb float level, carb rotated in its rubber socket, carb backing out of its rubber socket) was the biggest main contributor. When I fixed them all the issue disappeared.

I'm not saying the summit racing filter will starve your engine but to be sure you could do a gravity fuel flow test with it in the gas line and compare it to the same test with the Kitfox supplied filter (or equivalent barb size). If the fuel flow test results are comparable then it should be safe to use the smaller barbed filter. Before you do that a simpler test can also be performed by just blowing through each filter and if you detect any difference in restrictions with the 1/4" barbed filter that should cause you to steer clear. My "blow test" on the plastic filter had a noticeably higher restriction than the same test with the Kitfox supplied filter.

I love the materials in the Summit Racing filter but I wish I could find one with a 5/16" barb.
    Last edited by Birdseyeview; 08-18-2022 at 06:51 AM.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

I have this 5/16 fuel filter with an extra element and gasket that I will sell dirt cheap. It is a Russell 651660. It's been sitting on a shelf for a few years, new, never used. I ended up using a different filter on my plane.

20220810_093457.jpg
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

The Russell fuel filter is sold.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Even though the above is sold (congrats), more are available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edelbrock makes them also, go down to ur local Autozone or Orielley’s auto parts, they have them hangin on the shelf, black or red anodized, 5/16” or u ca get them i 3/8”. They r what i used also on my 0235/115hp powered KF5