Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Air intake filter

Default Air intake filter

Hello,
    Question for the group. As you can see from the picture I included, I have some very small K&N filters on my carbs that the original builder installed. Airplane is Kitfox IV-1200 and engine is a 912ULS. I can no longer find these filters and I would really like to get more air to the carbs. I was thinking about putting a 90 degree elbow on the carbs and installing a bigger K&N filter, an RA-0500. Does anyone see any problems with my plan?

I have looked through the entire filter list that K&N has available and nothing will fit directly behind the carbs. There is only 2.5 inches between the carb and the firewall on the pilot side.

Sorry about the picture, not sure why the forum rotated it 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Thanks
    Kevin

C8F446AC-57D8-4F01-B7CA-88EDD11CBCDD.jpeg
    Kitfox IV-1200,
    N23PK

Default Re: Air intake filter

Kevin, I have K&N RA-045V filters on mine. Larger around but fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa 67 View Post
    Kevin, I have K&N RA-045V filters on mine. Larger around but fit well.
    Dennis,
    I had looked at that one but thought it too big. Since you mentioned it I went back and took a look. I now see that it is offset, and I think I can get it to fit. Had not noticed the offset before. I just ordered a couple of them. I think my only issue will be my coolant overflow bottle. I'm pretty sure I will have to relocate it.

Thanks for the tip!! I've been researching this for hours.

Kevin
    Kitfox IV-1200,
    N23PK

I use a DNA oval filter. These fit the model 4 perfectly and are a bit smaller for clearance.
    They flow enough for a uls as well. I don't have the part number handy but start with
    DNA OV 440 and go from there.there is a good range