Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912ULS Alternator Options

Default 912ULS Alternator Options

The Red River Fox has a few new additions that require more than the internal alt will support. So, external I go. What have you all been using?
    Last edited by styree; 08-06-2022 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Made a mistake

Default Re: 912ULS Alternator Options

Rotax belt drive aux alternator - should be good for continuous 40 amp +

Fits just fine under the smooth cowl.

Looks exactly like a 1984 toyota truck nippo-denso alternator with the rear housing rotated 90 degtees
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Well that's interesting! Got any pictures?
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Here's a couple.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Rotax belt drive aux alternator - should be good for continuous 40 amp +

Fits just fine under the smooth cowl.

Looks exactly like a 1984 toyota truck nippo-denso alternator with the rear housing rotated 90 degtees
    I want to add the Rotax external alternator like yours. I can’t seem to find a Rotax Aux alternator “kit” is there a kit or did you buy all the parts, brackets, alternator, etc. separately from Rotax?
    Appreciate any insight you have.

building SS7 with 912 Edge performance big bore 110hp EFI and fuel Garmin panel with 3 axis AP etc.

I've had the ROTAX 40 amp kit setup for about 1,200 hours. No issues with it. It's even been submerged overnight in the Columbia River.
    If you decide to go this way, I would suggest drilling and safety wiring the upper pivot bolt. The clearance between the hex head and the belt is minimal. If it backs out, you will smell burning rubber in the cockpit followed by a destroyed belt. Don't ask how I know.

John,

I purchased my rotax alternator kit from Aircraft Sales and Parts in Vernon BC, Canada. The exchange rate was good at the time (long time ago) and the kit came complete with all the parts and 25 some pages of instructions. Not even sure if ASAP is in business in the same way now; however, any rotax dealer in the US will be able to procure it for you. John Mc Bean at Kitfox aircraft is a rotax dealer and I would suggest calling him. FWIW - KItfox has a whole lot of things available that are not in their catalog - that's why a call is important. One of our list sponsors is LEAF out of Wisconsin who is also a Rotax dealer. Lockwood in FL is also a Rotax dealer; but I would start with our list sponsors first.

Like Floog - never a hickup from the belt driven alternator. Rotax, in their somewhat AR ways with the 5 year rubber replacement, includes the belt belt as a 5 year replacement item. I go by condition on that. Lot of standard airworthiness aircraft owners run their belts for an eternity - well beyond 5 years.

Postscript - don't know if it as factor with the mods on your engine; but, the bolt holes in the gearbox need to be unoccupied with anything else for the brackets to fit. Recheck my photos - it's not complicated.
    Dave S
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Floog View Post
    I've had the ROTAX 40 amp kit setup for about 1,200 hours. No issues with it. It's even been submerged overnight in the Columbia River.
    If you decide to go this way, I would suggest drilling and safety wiring the upper pivot bolt. The clearance between the hex head and the belt is minimal. If it backs out, you will smell burning rubber in the cockpit followed by a destroyed belt. Don't ask how I know.
    I did the external alternator as well. Safety wired both of the major bolts attaching the assembly to the engine. Price has gone up a bit but here's a link to one place that has them.
    https://motive.aero/shop/engines/ROTAX_912UL/1

Alternator.jpeg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Looks at the edge performance additional alternators. They have a 15amp and a 30amp.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Floog View Post
    thanks for the info!!
    John