Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912ULS Alternator Options

Default Re: 912ULS Alternator Options

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Looks at the edge performance additional alternators. They have a 15amp and a 30amp.
    Thanks for the info!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    John,

I purchased my rotax alternator kit from Aircraft Sales and Parts in Vernon BC, Canada. The exchange rate was good at the time (long time ago) and the kit came complete with all the parts and 25 some pages of instructions. Not even sure if ASAP is in business in the same way now; however, any rotax dealer in the US will be able to procure it for you. John Mc Bean at Kitfox aircraft is a rotax dealer and I would suggest calling him. FWIW - KItfox has a whole lot of things available that are not in their catalog - that's why a call is important. One of our list sponsors is LEAF out of Wisconsin who is also a Rotax dealer. Lockwood in FL is also a Rotax dealer; but I would start with our list sponsors first.

Like Floog - never a hickup from the belt driven alternator. Rotax, in their somewhat AR ways with the 5 year rubber replacement, includes the belt belt as a 5 year replacement item. I go by condition on that. Lot of standard airworthiness aircraft owners run their belts for an eternity - well beyond 5 years.

Postscript - don't know if it as factor with the mods on your engine; but, the bolt holes in the gearbox need to be unoccupied with anything else for the brackets to fit. Recheck my photos - it's not complicated.

thanks for all the great info!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    I did the external alternator as well. Safety wired both of the major bolts attaching the assembly to the engine. Price has gone up a bit but here's a link to one place that has them.
    https://motive.aero/shop/engines/ROTAX_912UL/1

Attachment 33490
    thanks, also great advice, I safety wire just about everything 😉
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Looks at the edge performance additional alternators. They have a 15amp and a 30amp.
    I have a Edge Performance EFI conversion with a big bore kit and would like to use their rear mount EP32A alternator. Do you know if it will fit with the Kitfox SS7 motor mounts for a 912?

Thanks,
    John

John,

The external alternator from EDGE will not fit on the kitfox engine mount. There is a bar that crosses the mount that interferes with the alternator. Cory Dickerson has been flying his kitfox and edge 155 with external alternator but he had to cut that bar on the mount.

Danilo

Quote Originally Posted by JGE View Post
    I have a Edge Performance EFI conversion with a big bore kit and would like to use their rear mount EP32A alternator. Do you know if it will fit with the Kitfox SS7 motor mounts for a 912?

Thanks,
    John