Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hysol vs. T-88 Epoxy - Is there a difference?

Default Hysol vs. T-88 Epoxy - Is there a difference?

I know Kitfox uses Hysol, I have access to T-88 epoxy and wanted to learn if anyone has used T-88 or has an issue with it. Thank you.

Default Re: Hysol vs. T-88 Epoxy - Is there a difference?

T88 is usually used for wood and such. Hysol 9460 or Scotch Weld 2216 is usually used for fibs to spars and such. I actually just bought a quart kit of scotchweld on ebay. The guy selling it says it was manufactured about 1 year ago. So it seems that it's not old stuff. I've used some of it that was 25 yrs old on things not kitfox related and it seemed just as strong as new stuff, so I'm not sure if it has an actual shelf life or not. I know I've had the hysol get lumpy after a year or so. Maybe the lids weren't as tight as they should have been. Never seen that happen with the scotchweld though. Only thing with the scotch weld is it has a funny mixing ratio. 5 to 7. I use a scale and a bit of math, and it's simple to get and exact mix. Here is a link to the ebay listing. Price is less than the pint kits regularly. I expect mine to arrive tomorrow, I'll let you know if I'm still happy after I get it. JImChuk
    3M 2216 B/A SCOTCH-WELD GRAY EPOXY one QUART KIT 21200203565 | eBay

5 minutes after I posted my last message my epoxy showed up. Looks like brand new cans to me. JImChuk

I just ordered some. And they ship the peoples republic of New Zealand.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I used some of mine for the first time last night. Worked just like the other cans I've used of this stuff. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    T88 is usually used for wood and such. Hysol 9460 or Scotch Weld 2216 is usually used for fibs to spars and such. I actually just bought a quart kit of scotchweld on ebay……I expect mine to arrive tomorrow, I'll let you know if I'm still happy after I get it. JImChuk
    3M 2216 B/A SCOTCH-WELD GRAY EPOXY one QUART KIT 21200203565 | eBay
    Thanks for the feedback.

Steve