Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Reinforcement Brackets

Default Reinforcement Brackets

Anyone know why we put two coats of poly- brush on the reinforcement bracket before attaching them with poly-tak? it just doesn’t seem right to me, I may put some polyfiber doily’s on the inside as I don’t want them to drop off when the wing is all sealed up or am I worrying about nothing?

Default Re: Reinforcement Brackets

No need to reply I have got a answer.

PJ,

The reason for using the two coats of THINNED polybrush is to provide a "bedding" that will help adhesion and reduce the possibilities of pinholes. This is the reason described in the poly fiber manual near the beginning of the discussion on wing covering in the context of preparing a leading edge for fabric attachment; and, goes on to say the same procedure should be used on all large metal, wood or fiberglass parts that will be covered with fabric.

The reference in the Kitfox manual under the covering section appears to regard the lift strut aluminum reinforcements in the same light; so, consistent with the polyfiber manual.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have glued them on as per the manual, I am still considering putting some tape on the rear as a backup against separation.

Quote Originally Posted by P Johnson View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have glued them on as per the manual, I am still considering putting some tape on the rear as a backup against separation.

PJ,

Hard to argue with the "belt and suspenders method"! No harm in that. In our case, when the part was glued to the fabric, I turned the excess fabric from the hole over the backside and glued that to the backside of the aluminum then did a course of tape on the outside.

Have to say the polyfiber system is a great product.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN