Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Takeoff Procedure

Default Re: Takeoff Procedure

Great advice John. I really appreciate it. I ended up using my one notch of flaps on takeoff and that solved my problem. It poppped off the ground and I didn't have any issues at all and I was able to solo my new to me kitfox for the first time. I appreciate your reply. https://youtu.be/upT1CPJE7p0

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    A Kitfox 3 will likely not have a trim tab on the elevator, or a trimmable horizontal stab like 5s and up. Flaps are used for trim. Retract flaps for more nose up trim, and extend flaps for more nose down. That said, what you guys do on a 5 and up isn't relevant for a Kitfox 3.

I have a Kitfox 4 1050 with no trim tab and uses flaps for trim. Power is a 2-stroke 582.

The flap position for a good climb speed how mine is rigged is with the flap handle about an inch from fully retracted. You get to know what position works best for you. That becomes takeoff trim. With that setting I can literally apply power, let the airplane accelerate, and with no forward pressure on the stick, the tail will come off the ground just a little, about a foot or so I figure, and the airplane will lift off on its own, go right to that climb airspeed and off I go. I sometimes vary the amount of flaps I have in for takeoff depending on what I want to do. You could put in no flaps (nose up trim), ram the power in and make a 3-point takeoff, or put in a little more flap (nose down trim), apply power nice and smooth and be given a gentle liftoff into a shallow climb attitude for long runways and passengers not used to flying in little airplanes.

As for power application, when by myself, I can takeoff well below full throttle and given the runway lengths I am generally using, I like to use a pretty gradual power application to make things smoother as this is just more pleasant for my sensibilities. Sure you can to the hold brakes, full power, release, force tail up, pop flaps, nose to ground effect, retract flaps and fly off in a spectacular short field takeoff, but get used to the airplane first.

In summary, for a Kitfox 1-4 without elevator or stab trim:
    1. I would definitely use flaps on takeoff, but only as pitch trim. Find the setting that gives you a comfortable climb speed/angle and remember that setting. You can find this at altitude by just initiating a full power climb and adjusting flaps to achieve the speed/angle you want. Use this for your takeoff trim setting.

2. Use smooth power application for takeoff. There is plenty of power available in most circumstances and you can always feed the rest in after the wheels come off. This will help you learn the airplane.

3. I'm not a fan of forcing the tail up except when it is absolutely necessary to get it off early. Hold a neutral stick position, the tail will come up by itself without a bunch of power induced yaw when it does, making it easier to keep the airplane straight. The early Kitfoxes with stock gear have a narrow track and one could say they are "tippy" side to side.

Thumbs up Re: Takeoff Procedure

Thanks for the post and video Dwyckoff. Glad to hear your use of Flaps worked for you. Congrats on your airplane and first solo in it. Enjoy the flying. I wonder if you didn't just post those videos to show us all your landing skills.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X