Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912 flooded carb

Default Re: 912 flooded carb

I took and loosened the carb and rotated it on a 45 and pushed the pin out with a small punch, hit it with a wrench to loosen it. the pin has perforations on one side, you need to look for that and hit on the other side. mine was on the inside so I hit on the outer side of the carb (right side) and slowly removed the pin. hope this helps.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    this kid has the same problem, right carb, left is ok. Now my plane is a 4 so the original left carb is now on the right. went 800 hrs with no problem, now the right one wants to flood and only when it's hot...

I was trying to find them on the LEAF website, without luck. Maybe give them a call, ask for Brett and see if he knows if they still make the softer tip needles. They used to have red or black tips. I think the red ones were the softer ones. I still have the original 1996 tips (and floats) in my carbs because the new ones sucked so bad.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I put my original needle back in and flew it again and no flooding, time will tell I guess. thanks larry
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I put on some new carb sockets last night (jbm) mine were very old(jbm) and found a nice improvement. I flew this morning and it was nice and smooth full throttle, just a little rough not bad in the lower rpm's. No more flooding, the new needle I got must be junk. I'm just going to fly it, when I have time I might take the mid range jet out and soak it in gun cleaning solvent. I need to do that with my injectors for the rv, I do that when I change the oil. The kitfox is time for an oil change so that will be the time I do that one. take care see you a OSH.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Next time you open up the carbs you may want to polish the needle seat as well. I had these same issues and leaks with the new replacement needles as well. Upon taking an eye loop and staring into the needle seat, you can see chattering from the drilling process that resulted in the needles not being able to completely seat and thus fuel leaked by. I took some metal polish, a q-tip (or 3) and a drill to solve that issue.

pull the cotton tips off of 2 or 3 q tips and wrap them around the head of another q-tip. Just building up the cotton to ensure that it polishes all surfaces in the seat simultaneously. Then a dab of metal polish and chuck the ass end of that q-tip into the drill and give it a go. I DO NOT suggest spinning that drill at super high speeds - be smart and realize polish is an abrasive and too much pressure will chew up some serious material. Polish slow and blast out residual with carb cleaner. Turn in fuel briefly after completion to ensure no polish snuck up through the port and into the fuel line. Once it runs clean, re-sssemble, verify fuel level in bowl, grab a handful of gummy bears and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
    Attached Images Attached Images