Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hub Cap Options

Default Hub Cap Options

Looking for info on Hub caps. I searched around and didn't find much.

I have the Cleveland 6" wheels and the Grove 1.25" axle. I am a little confused on what hub caps I need. I have seen the pie pan caps with the 3 holes on the perimeter and it looks like they line up with the 3 holes on my rims. Then I have see some that have a hole in the middle on the hub cap? The end of the axle is threaded so do the hubcaps mount here and are stationary?

Looking for some enlightenment......

On a side note.....Do most not even run with hubcaps? Seems like there needs to be a way to check air pressure without removing the hub cap?

Thanks
    IMG_5689.jpgIMG_5690.jpg

Default Re: Hub Cap Options

Hi Jerry,

The only reason I see for wheel covers is to keep crap out of the hub at least on the outside and to improve air flow/aerodynamics.

I think the reason for the hole and screw cap units is because the axle/wheel combo on the Kitfox seems to require a bigger bump on the wheel cover to than what is provided on the off the shelf wheel covers.

Back a while I made some one piece ones with a bigger bump - probably not what everyone is up for that but if you are interested in seeing how that worked out - do a search on "home made light weight wheel covers"

I guess access to the air fitting is important - I've just removed the three little screws when checking.

I think a lot run without wheel covers.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Those threaded ends are for mounting wheel pants. On some planes the wheel nut has the threaded stem for the wheel pant bracket.

Another thing that threaded end is used for is mounting a stone catcher around the rear of the tire. I've seen pictures of those for bush planes.

http://www.aerotwin.com/products/mai...eflectors.html

I think they should have the bunnies on the mud flaps like truckers do.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Thanks all.

Dave, your thread where you built covers explained a lot. I see where some have cut a hole for the axle to stick through and then made a smaller plate that bolts to the end of the axle to cover it. Makes sense now.

I kind of wonder...... if just cutting the end of the axle off would be an option?

I made some 3D printed hub caps. There's a matching cap that screws into the end of the axle to finish it off, not shown in this picture, and probably not necessary.
    2022-07-13 15_31_16-Photo - Google Photos.jpg
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Thanks all.

Dave, your thread where you built covers explained a lot. I see where some have cut a hole for the axle to stick through and then made a smaller plate that bolts to the end of the axle to cover it. Makes sense now.

I kind of wonder...... if just cutting the end of the axle off would be an option?

I considered doing that, but just left the wheel covers off. You could cut the end of the axle off if you wanted to.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I cut my axle ends off to make the covers fit. I never plan on installing wheel pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

"pie pans" installed on mine. I used a step drill to drill a hole in the middle so that the axel and its threaded hole are exposed. Kitfox sells an aluminum cap with the Kitfox Logo with one machine screw that fits the axel. I remove everything to addess the air pressure. IMG_5437.jpg
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. I think this is route I am going to go. The whole axle sticking out was throwing me but the caps makes sense now.

Thanks to all for the ideas and thoughts.