Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tanks Question

Default New Tanks Question

Finally fitting my fuel tanks. These are brand new from Kitfox. Per the directions you should fill the gap with structural adhesive between Cap strip of #3 and fuel tank and do the same for Rib #1. How is this possible with the gap between Rib #1 and the fuel tank? The other side (Right Wing there is far less of a gap. The ribs are the same distance so just differences in tank lip size.

Default Re: New Tanks Question

I can only tell you what I did, which was to copy some other people. I slid the tank outboard to rib #3 just like you have in your picture. You'll want every mm of room for the fuel fittings and hoses at the root end. Some have used scraps of aluminum bonded to the underside of the tank flange and rib cap strip, then filled with Hysol. I didn't bother. My Laker Leading Edge covers of the forward area and I had no problem shrinking the fabric over the gap from the tank to rib #1 for the rest of it.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I can only tell you what I did, which was to copy some other people. I slid the tank outboard to rib #3 just like you have in your picture. You'll want every mm of room for the fuel fittings and hoses at the root end. Some have used scraps of aluminum bonded to the underside of the tank flange and rib cap strip, then filled with Hysol. I didn't bother. My Laker Leading Edge covers of the forward area and I had no problem shrinking the fabric over the gap from the tank to rib #1 for the rest of it.
    THank you! Exactly what I needed to know.

To fill the gap, I tried something a little different using cardboard to create a backing until the Hysol set.

This is the sequence. I cut a piece of cardboard that would fit inside the cap strip and shoulder of the tank. I then covered the cardboard with clear packaging tape, then used car wax on the tape as a release agent. I put the cardboard on the inside of the gap and filled the gap from the outside with Hysol, squeezing it to be slightly low to the top of the tank and cap strip. When the Hysol set, I pealed the cardboard and tape off. I used Super Fill to finish the surface.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Thank you! Great info!

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...557#post102557

Another option.....Fiberglass. Worked well.

Thanks Jerry! Somehow I couldn't find this with a search. Exactly what I needed.

Recommendation: If I remember correctly, leave a bit if room between the #3 rib and the tank (for the rib stitch needle).

It says to use structural adhesive between the tank and the rib. Is everyone drilling a little hole for the rib stitching?

Yup - filled the gap then drilled holes for the rib stitching.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN