Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 7 Super Sport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Series 7 Super Sport

Hi Matt, I cut it to size with my harbour freight band saw, and then took it to a machinist to get the 7mm height which was done on a milling machine I guess. I forgot to mention that I put a washer under each bolt in between the aluminium block that I made and the fusalage so as there would be no movement or guess work whilst the hysol went off in between. So make sure the aluminium block is undersized to allow it to be made up with the different thickness washers that we use throughout the build .
    Last edited by Jez; 09-30-2022 at 05:52 AM.

Hey Jez, well I am hoping that my pedals are straight as I’m not sure what access to a machinist I will have when it comes time to that. Thanks again for the explanation.

Matt
    Matt Koeniguer building the KingFox
    https://www.youtube.com/@KingFox76
    KitFox Model 7STi
    Monster Shocks - 29” Alaskan Bushwheels & TW
    Engine - Wanted Rotax, now considering the Viking 150
    Propeller - MT, now probably a DUC for the Viking
    Stits Poly Fiber

You can get the closest stock size and make the rest up with washers as long as it’s not too big a gap I guess, else you will using a lot of hysol in between

Another little torque problem I rectified on the break pedal by using a bolt with a cotter pin instead of using the nylon nut to torque to the impossible 25 inch pounds without it getting stiff. A little overkill, but at least the only restriction I get now will be from the brake cylinder itself when applying the breaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jez,

The Nylocks are easy and quick, however, Cotter pin fasteners have a lot of utility, as you found. Back when I was doing my build, I was very fortunate to have both EAA tech counselors and a Designated Airworthiness Rep (DAR in the US) who had for their day jobs repairing and signing off on modifications for heavy iron and everything in between. My DAR was an FAA inspector who new just about every trick and what works - he suggested I use Cotter pins on many of the applications - while they can sometimes take a little more time when a person has to select fit thin/thick washer to arrive at a correct torque, they can be used anywhere while the nylocks do have some limitations (related to heat or rotation). I guess if it is good enough for Boeing and the FAA, I figure it was ok for a kitfox!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave, that’s very reassuring. Hopefully it will help others also.

A few pics here to help others. I used tape on the wire before cutting with a dremel disc and then took it off and applied industrial super glue to the ends to stop fraying. The washers were a smidge to small for the bolt to go through on the adjustable rudder stick so this is how I enlarged them 8 thou more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeremy I was just wondering how the build was coming along? Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Hi Harlan, I just started last week and found my mojo again after stopping at Christmas. Big mistake to stop for too long. `But I really got the bug again which is really nice. I have just marked the bubble door for cutting like you did, and then I have to build my wings from scratch which seems daunting I must say. But I think Alex will help me out if I come across any problems. I have to get the saw horses prepped up soon and glued to the floor or square ready for the spars. Your videos including Bryan's and Rogers have been very inspirational for me. So thanks guys for the support, and thanks for asking Harlan. I do follow all your vids and do wonder if you would ever take your mother up with you or you were just both joking that day?

Jez

No Joke at all, she would have went in a minute as soon as I asked her. She had no fear at all about flying with me. She passed away in Jan just before I flew it in april. I hated not getting to fly her. Thanks for asking about her. Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos