Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Is there an option for an off airport nosewheel setup for S7 like the nosewheel XCub?

Default Is there an option for an off airport nosewheel setup for S7 like the nosewheel XCub?

Flying off phase 1 hours in my Super Sport S7 and seriously contemplating switching to a nosewheel configuration.
    I went to Stick and Rudder in 2020 and got my tailwheel endorsement during a weeks worth of flying so I am reasonable comfortable with a tailwheel.
    However, knowing that the hours of practice needed to maintain proficiency for me in a tailwheel will be tough to do has me looking at this.
    I'm not saying I couldn't be a safe flyer but the accident rates for tailwheel airplanes speaks for itself. I put in a parachute so my mindset is generally about risk mitigation.
    I am also trying to be realistic in that every strip we landed at in Idaho I could have landed my CTLSi and I have no plans to land on river banks or gravel bars, just local grass strips.

So my question is whether there is a big tire trailing link or some other robust nosewheel option for the S7?
    I have the factory nosewheel gear already and could change it to take a larger tire but don't want to reinvent the wheel (literally) if I don't have to.
    I don't have big tires on it now, just the ones that came with the kit but have some 26"ers ready to go and would like a "balanced" nosewheel option.

Don't misunderstand this post as saying that tailwheel planes are dangerous but my experience is that the margin for error in a tailwheel is smaller than a tricycle gear plane for me.

Thanks

Default Re: Is there an option for an off airport nosewheel setup for S7 like the nosewheel X

[QUOTE=
    So my question is whether there is a big tire trailing link or some other robust nosewheel option for the S7?
    I have the factory nosewheel gear already and could change it to take a larger tire but don't want to reinvent the wheel (literally) if I don't have to.
    I don't have big tires on it now, just the ones that came with the kit but have some 26"ers ready to go and would like a "balanced" nosewheel option.
    Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have never seen one other than the factory one you have. If it's experimental you can build your own heavy duty one!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: Is there an option for an off airport nosewheel setup for S7 like the nosewheel X

The Rans S21 Outbound has a "Tundra" option nosewheel that looks very similar to the Kitfox design. I have wondered if it can be easily adapted.

62270942_2623576797655309_9126053828888625152_n.jpg

There's more info in their build/parts manual.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mike
    Building the JaMFox N677JM
    Kitfox 5 Vixen
    KRNM

not mine but seen this awile back on a model 7.
    nosewheel.jpg

this is my setup on a model 5. I have 22" mains and i made a longer nose bushing and got rid of the AN4 rod end bearing. Kind of a long story but i went to this set up because my previousAN4 rod end bearing broke resulting in a prop strike and bent motor mount. Eventually I am thinking about adding a larger nose wheel.kitfox gear 2.jpgkitfox gear 3.jpg
    kitfox gear 1.jpg