Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 UL engine oil temps

Default 912 UL engine oil temps

Good morning to you all!!! Looks like my flight two days ago had me seeing 195 in straight and level flight, but still hitting that 235 to 240 when putting the engine under some heavy load while climbing out. This has brought me back into the fold regarding oil coolers and locations. Sooo… new oil cooler is going in with a good bit more surface area as well as a dual pass style cooler as opposed to the stock single pass Earls. I’ll snap a few photos and post up soon, but looks like my oil cooler is going down under the plane with the radiator and away from under the cowling - too many issues with that original mounting location.

Default Re: 912 UL engine oil temps

Increased cooler size to roughly 34 in^2 of surface area from around 22 in^2. Run up yesterday confirmed steady temps and consistent numbers even with full power run up. This AM we’re going up in the sky for some final numbers. DB8A3F0F-0903-495D-81AC-62293B52DE69.jpgAC4AB060-D518-4DFE-988F-F2C7C8F67C52.jpg6FBED1EE-A5B5-4EA8-9F9F-E888943C09B6.jpg

Would you post a link the the oil cooler you are using?

Thanks.
    Building a KF IV Classic

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/csf-8119

id strongly suggest that if you go this route you also go with the Russell tubing and clampless barb fittings. Made for a very quick install and the swivel ends on the clampless fittings make for easy oil changes. Currently seeing cruise temps at around 190 and 210 on heavy climb out. Editing a video now to show the install process and test flight. I’ll post a link here when it’s finished.

https://youtu.be/GimnYKWRFvA

newest video with all of the steps I went through to relocate the oil cooler as well as the results from in flight testing - even a bit of a chat about the AFR steps and oil cooling steps I’ve been hearing from other pilots AROUND THE WORLD. This has become a global conversation and it’s AMAZING.

thank you all for your support and input.

Like your airfoils on the back of your shock monsters. Do you have them on thingiverse?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Where was your oil cooler mounted previously. I have the exact same aircraft/engine combo and haven't noticed over heating, in fact I had to add shutters on my oil cooler to get the temps up.

You can see my oil cooler is mounted below the gear box

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 11.36.54 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post
    Where was your oil cooler mounted previously. I have the exact same aircraft/engine combo and haven't noticed over heating, in fact I had to add shutters on my oil cooler to get the temps up.

You can see my oil cooler is mounted below the gear box

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 11.36.54 PM.jpg
    Previously in the same spot as yours. I did find it odd that all of a sudden I was seeing high temps and no one else was complaining - that was until the S20 complaint - then I knew something was going on. Interesting that some seem to have issues and others don’t. What’s your home elevation and average flight temps?

Quote Originally Posted by AvDES LLC View Post
    Previously in the same spot as yours. I did find it odd that all of a sudden I was seeing high temps and no one else was complaining - that was until the S20 complaint - then I knew something was going on. Interesting that some seem to have issues and others don’t. What’s your home elevation and average flight temps?
    Elevation for my home field is 980ft. Oil temps are around 220, In the summer I keep the shutter closed until take off (Faster warm up time) and still find I need to adjust it partially closed unless it is a crazy hot day. (100+ degrees)

I also have a thermobob for the engine coolant which I found helps regulate the oil temps as well for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post
    Elevation for my home field is 980ft. Oil temps are around 220, In the summer I keep the shutter closed until take off (Faster warm up time) and still find I need to adjust it partially closed unless it is a crazy hot day. (100+ degrees)

I also have a thermobob for the engine coolant which I found helps regulate the oil temps as well for some reason
    thank you for the info. The thermobob was going to be my next step the next time I opened up these oil lines. Would be nice to have come the winters where we’re well below freezing.