Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MGL EMS-2 Blaze Engine monitor install

Default MGL EMS-2 Blaze Engine monitor install

Had a few guys ask me to review my MGL EMS-2 Blaze Engine monitor installation that I completed yesterday. Here are a few pics and if you are one of those guys and are interested drop me a PM and I'll give you the details. Its a novel not a short story so via phone conversation will be best . Bruce N199CL

Default Re: MGL EMS-2 Blaze Engine monitor install

Nice job!
    Care to share a parts list?
    I'm assuming it went on a Rotax 912
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Actually the install was on my Continental IO-240 powered Series 5. Parts from MGL- EMS-2 Blaze instrument, RDAC XG (a firewall mounted remote data aquisition computer), 4 of each EGT and CHT thermocouples with splice kit and extension wire and a VDO oil press. sensor (My current Oil temp sensor was compatible with the MGL setup). A quick look on the Aircraft Spruce website will make tears come to your eyes with the price of most engine monitors so 3 things jumped out at me when I saw this MGL at OSH this summer. 1) it was a drop in replacement for my Westach quad engine gauge and fit in the 3 1/8"hole without redoing my panel. 2) functionality and screen display - I believe an engine monitor to be one of the most important instruments in the panel and a great safety feature when it comes to engine operation & diagnosis, so instead of monitoring one cylinder with the old Westach , I can now see all 4. Some of the competitions units have what I would call awkward displays , and when on Takeoff roll I don't want to read bar graphs, when a quick glance is all the time you have , with the MGL green is good . I also installed a HI-LO limit warning light that is triggered by the EMS-2. 3) Price-
    The price on some of these stand alone engine monitors will bring you to your knees , while the MGL only made me start to buckle - call it $1050 spent on the above units. Bruce N199CL

I ordered an MGL engine monitor from this guy is the UK and had a good experience with the deal. Would do it again. Was almost 25% cheaper then if I had bought from the USA. You don't pay VAT when they ship out of the country. JImChuk
    https://www.parts4aircraft.com/mgl-avionics-blaze-ems-2-c2x27370932

Airlina have you had a chance to fly using the MGL yet and what is your opinion of it now?
    THANKS

I have flown about 10 hours with the MGL installed and really like it. The display is very readable and everything is user programmable , I especially like the ability to set warnings and caution parameters that activate a user supplied warning light .For example -I have CHT cautions and warnings based on Continentals limits. Also can set this light at minimum parameters, and I have it set to keep the light on after engine start to stay on until my oil temp reaches 75 degrees, which is the min that full power can be used-no runup until this light goes out. Very helpful to immediately get the pilots attention quickly. The unit has way more capability than I will use and the display I use the most is the one you see in the picture. As a matter of fact if you start adding too much info that cannot be displayed on the page , the unit has to switch to a second display page and does this at 2 sec intervals which I found very distracting . I do however manually select other pages in flight -for instance there is a leaning page that shows EGT's only in big numbers for more accurate leaning. So for the money I am pleased with the instrument -be aware though that the install is not a plug and play. I replaced a westach quad gauge that only monitored 1 cylinder, and to monitor all 4 you will be running a bunch of new wiring. As I recall new 23 wires to route and terminate. Bruce N199CL

Thanks for the quick reply,Good to hear you like it so far,it looks like a pretty Interesting gauge that can replace a bunch of other gauges in the plane.
    How is it to read in bright conditions,I wonder what it would be like in cold weather when you first start up as far as the screen working in the cold.

Screen readability in bright light is great no issues at all, and cold weather ops are not a problem , as I live in upstate NY and have flown it at 25 deg F so far . As soon as the master is on it powers up. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    The unit has way more capability than I will use and the display I use the most is the one you see in the picture. As a matter of fact if you start adding too much info that cannot be displayed on the page , the unit has to switch to a second display page and does this at 2 sec intervals which I found very distracting .
    Bruce,
    Just discovered this thread and very glad I did. I recently installed the Blaze instrument and for my needs - Rotax 912UL - all I wanted is to replace the four gauges that were in the Westach Quad Gauge. For some reason, I am getting the "two second" page shift and find it distracting as well, as I have no need to see the fuel pressure that wants to be displayed even though I have no fuel pressure sender. Prompts me to go through the programming again and see if I can delete that from the program. I was hoping to have the one page display only. Is there an option to program it so the one page is displayed unless prompted to go elsewhere?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Lowell, I was able to get that page shift to stop with some tech support from South Africa. (I was having problems with timely tech help from the U.S. distributor , so I tried emailing the factory in S.Africa and got quick and correct responses fast . Here is the email for future use: info@mglavionics.co.za and Rainier Lamers seems to be the go to guy for help) I too only need one page of readings Oil P & T , CHT and EGT. My display was flipping to the second page because OAT and fuel flow were selected on , although not used. You have to go into the analog channel menu and make sure ALL 4 channels have no parameters set to the on position. This instrument is new and I suspect they might come up with a future software fix that would allow manual instead of the auto 2 sec page flip, but for now , when you shut off those unwanted parameters , the display will stay on the primary page only . I do like the capability of the instrument and its a big step up from the Westach that I ran for so long. Good luck Bruce N199CL