Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: interesting add on barnstormers

Default interesting add on barnstormers

Just saw this one. Could make for some empty hangars if it becomes the norm. And sales on projects.... JImChuk

FAA PUBLIC NOTICE KJKJINFORMATION OFFEREDMOORHEAD,MN A FAA GRANTED AIRPORT MANDATES THAT ALL AIRCRAFT ON KJKJ MUST HAVE ANNUAL OR BE REMOVED.• Contact Craig Sutter - FARGO MOORHEAD AOPSA , - located Moorhead, MN 56560 United States Telephone: 7013678855 • Posted June 18, 202

Default Re: interesting add on barnstormers

Wow, if that becomes the norm there's a couple of airports that I know of that will probably have some airplanes for sale
    cheap that haven't had an annual in a long time, and the owners don't have medicals but they are still flying them.
    I would think FBO's will be getting some inquiries about planes for sale.

Might seem a little off kitfox topics, except for those of us who fly to this site (or those who hangar their kitfox at the site - if there are any).

I don't know that this would become the norm. If I recall, the airport at Moorhead MN is owned and operated by the city of Moorhead and all decisions are made by their city council. Seems the city requirements are tighter than what the FAA requires. I do know the site has vast plans for improvements and hangar additions (which may play into this apparent gentrification) but I doubt they would ever be competitive with their neighbor across the border - KFAR.

Down here in Metroland, we have all of the local reliever airports managed by the Metropolitan airports commission and one owned by a local municipality (KSGS). The ownership and management setup of an airport can result in tighter local rules than what one would expect.

Maybe the lesson here is that we should all keep on local airport management activities so that we have some hope of retaining airports that serve the purposes of our segment of the aviation community. If a person reviews the on line Moorhead city council agendas and meeting minutes for the airport committee, it is clear this decision has been in the works for some time.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I’ve been based at a very busy GA airport for decades, and here’s some food for thought... hangars here are in very short supply, as they are at many airports (there is a several year waiting list for county-owned hangars at KBJC). It’s a big problem, IMHO, that there are hangars with un-flyable airplanes in some of them that haven’t flown for years and probably won’t fly again. Also, a lot of people figured out that hangars were cheaper per square foot for general storage than other storage facilities, so they keep an un-airworthy airplane there so that they can have somewhere to store all their other non-aviation things. Some airports are instituting insurance and other requirements to help insure that more people with actual flying aircraft are able to get into a hangar. Those of us who have had to wait for years are mostly in favor of these measures. Airports are usually in favor of this also because active aircraft contribute to the health of the airport with fuel purchases, adding to the traffic count, etc.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Along with the points already made - if you are on the county airport hangar waiting list and live in that county - you might want to check if county residents have priority. I know of one airport in which they didn't but only because no one thought of the issue. In that case the policy was quickly updated.

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I’ve been based at a very busy GA airport for decades, and here’s some food for thought... hangars here are in very short supply, as they are at many airports (there is a several year waiting list for county-owned hangars at KBJC). It’s a big problem, IMHO, that there are hangars with un-flyable airplanes in some of them that haven’t flown for years and probably won’t fly again. Also, a lot of people figured out that hangars were cheaper per square foot for general storage than other storage facilities, so they keep an un-airworthy airplane there so that they can have somewhere to store all their other non-aviation things. Some airports are instituting insurance and other requirements to help insure that more people with actual flying aircraft are able to get into a hangar. Those of us who have had to wait for years are mostly in favor of these measures. Airports are usually in favor of this also because active aircraft contribute to the health of the airport with fuel purchases, adding to the traffic count, etc.
    I agree it is frustrating to be on a years long hangar wait list when you see several hangars are used solely to store RV’s, cars, boats and just plain junk. In some instances a sublease market has developed, wherein the original owner/lessor sub rents the hangar to a third party for a profit. IMHO aircraft owners who are registered, and insured should get priority.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV